Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1st post?)

XR750s rule. Evel said the torque would tweak the frames, making the bikes want to drift to the side on launch.

Still a cool bike all these years later.

-=Goggles=-

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
How many of us pretended we were Evel Kneivel when we were kids. He was a legend in the 70s.

Not long ago Evel was interviewed on Jim Rome's radio show. Evel mentioned to Rome that he thought his chances of surviving the Snake River jump were about 50/50.

Rome, "Then why do it if you thought you had a 50 percent chance of dying?"

Evel, "Do you know who the hell I am?"

It had to be the greatest response of all time from a world-class showman.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Street-legal XR

A street-legal XR has long been one of my wet dreams -- bein' basically a p#ssy, I'd probably wuss out and do the Sportster conversion (I think Storz sells the necessary bits).

Know anyone who makes an XR-style twin carb head conversion to fit a modern Sportster motor? Gotta have those twin velocity stacks to complete the look!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: XRs on bean oil...

Hey, regarding the Pit Bull XR from Echo Park; I thought you had to "pre-heat" bean oil in a four-stroke, before it would lubricate.

That's why, back in the day, racing cars and bikes (that ran castor bean oil) used kerosene lit, "pre-heaters" that got the bean oil up to operating temp, before starting the motor.

A buddy of mine, that runs an SCTA flathead ford, commented that cold bean oil "is like sandpaper."

True?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm. Yawn. Harley History. I guess long-term updates about current models aren't available. Or articles about which pipes work best on whatever motorcycles. Or a first hand account of riding any NEW motorcycle. And I mean any. You Know, Like a Motorcycle Magazine?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cool article. As someone relatively new to motorcycling (about 7 yrs) and exclusively a Jap/sportbike rider, I enjoyed the insight into H-D's that didn't have fringe-wearing lawyers and accountants aboard.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
An Interesting Idea how to save manufacturing jobs in the United States

"Tax Breaks to Expand Manufacturing Jobs in the U.S. Over 2.7 million manufacturing jobs have been lost since President Bush took office. John Kerry will save jobs by ending the unpatriotic practice of U.S. corporations moving offshore simply to avoid paying their fair share of our nation’s tax burden. To create new manufacturing jobs Kerry will:

Get the Crane-Rangel-Hollings legislation enacted, which provides a corporate rate reduction to manufacturers who produce goods in the United States;

Propose a new jobs tax credit to encourage manufacturing companies to stay and expand in America. When a manufacturing company creates jobs above their 12 month average, the payroll taxes of the new employees will be refunded for two years.

Immediately restore and double funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership that President Bush slashed by 80%."

Click here

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Normally I don't even notice Harleys anymore. Like Yogi said, "nobody goes there anymore..too crowded". But this article caught my eye and attention. The XR bikes have such a fine, clean and timeless look.

Want to make a Harley look dumb & fat..take the 18" rear off and put a chubbo 16" on. To complete the cluess look, then add a skinny 21" ft...you will be fully ready for the "form never follows function crowd. Ahhhh, reality forces the race bikes to do the right thing.

Thanks for the memories - again it reminds me of a time not so long ago when the only question was not what you rode...the only question was: "H or CH?"

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
And if you don't know the difference between an H or CH one of the following has to be true:1. You are not a Harley guy which is OK. 2. You are not up on Harley history..again OK. 3. You are younger and H or CH is like asking if you have spats for your shoes - again OK. 4. You are KPaul again off the subject - this time parroting crap from the Haughty French Looking John Effing Kerry. This is NOT OK. This is just dumb - and rude.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Well I had an H and a CH, the H was alot easier on my Knee. It also had progressive shocks, 18inch rear and 19inch front Conti. blitz's and a fat leather seat for my then skinny butt.

I put flat track bars and drag pipes on it and basicaly had the time of my life.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm with you Buzzy - What was jumping a Banana-seated bike with playing cards clothespinned to the spokes without pretending to be Evel Kneivel?

Would have been like stepping to the plate without pretending to be Micky Mantle!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
No you didn't...

..cause you were on a Sportster. Just ask all the experts who've never ridden one.

I had an XLX with heads flowed by Jerry Branch, S&S carb, etc. My friend on his GPZ750 was always upset that he couldn't pull away from me when we'd go out on some of our tighter canyon roads. Another friend on an FJ1200 was always behind us.

Oh I'm sorry. Couldn't have happened. It would be sacrilege.

Sportsters can be a real ball.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.