Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Yamaha announces

I don't get it. I thought Yamaha was pulling out of superbike racing. I can see why they contest the Formula Xtreme and Supersport classes; win on Sunday, sell on Monday and all that. But they don't actually sell any R7 street bikes.

Oh well. Good luck to Gobert.

·
Registered
58 Posts

That is a good point, I don't see many R-7's being sold to the public(way over priced anyway). Why is yamaha running the R-7 here in the states? Also how are they staying within the rules? Don't they have to sell so many R-7's a year? or was it just sell so many at one time and that's enough?

·
Registered
368 Posts

Yeah, the homologation rules (selling the superbikes you race) only applies to being done at one time, when you first introduce that model. In fact, you don't even have to sell them in the US, I recall hearing that the Harley VR1000 was only sold in Poland. If you then change the model completely (or significantly enough) you have to sell them again.

Not a problem for people like Ducati (916/996), Honda (RC51), Aprilia (Mille if they ever got a team in AMA) and Suzuki (GSXR750). All of these bikes are sold as regular models for sale to the general public all the time. I'm not sure how often others like the Yam/Kaw or other Hondas (RC30/RC45) were sold in dealers. Also this model is not listed on their web site (probably not in sales literature either).

Still a good point about not many Yam R-7s out there, you see a few, but in the numbers of GSXR750,RC51,996. The same thing goes for the aging Kawasaki superbike, the ZX-7R?. Although it might sell a little more (and is listed as a model for that manufacturer).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.