Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just 5?

It needs a lot more than 70hp if consumers are expected to pick it over a Monster 750 or even a Sportster 1200. Both of those bikes are classics in their own right and deserve the nod before what would be seen as "just another Japanese".

Another point, shouldn't an every day bike be liquid cooled? Summer traffic jams are bad enough without your ride over heating. Anything to improve the cooling in those situations is welcome.

So long as I nitpicking, the pillion accomidations look less than spectacular. No grab rail and a pipe under foot on either side. Again, an around town scoot needs to take a passenger time to time.

So different engine, better passenger love, and move the chock to an appropriate position (or do away with it in favor of EFI) and then bring it to the states.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Now you're talking!!

Heck, detune the engine a bit to give it that around town appeal. Drop 20hp and you're still around 97hp if you use a chain drive. How much power does the shaft sap? Another 10? That'd still be 80hp and I bet the torque curve would be sweeeeet!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yawn

For two full weeks since the May 29 XB9R v. 900SS comparison there’s been no new bike review, and then this is all you can come up with? A plodding and incredibly boring standard with air-cooled cruiser power. The two-wheeled equivalent of a Chev Impala.

This thing has virtually nothing going for it, regardless of your fulsome and vacuous praise. Such as calling the frame a "bold and massive piece" with "its daring mid-tank plunge". Huh? Or claiming that "the BT1100 provides a hot conversation topic whenever it is parked in a bike-choked lot." Yeah, right. And then to counter the blandness of the bike, you go back and re-write the review with Milan as a backdrop, the "world's fashion capital" with "countless stone paved streets", etc. Sorry, it doesn’t work. The thing is as ugly, fat and lazy as, well, a bulldog. So at least the bike has the right name.

Next time you take two weeks off, come up with something better than this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Yawn

I've really gotta jump on this one 'cause Ciao is right on here. If you're going to go to a subscription format you're definitely going to have to step up with more content than this to keep me paying

·
Registered
180 Posts
Kinda'nice, but I think I'd hold out for the BT1100"R" version with another 10 hp, sportier seating position, 20-30 lbs less weight, and proper sportbike suspension; all for a measly $7000 or so. I'll start holding my breath now...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Leave it in Europe

This thing can't hope to compete with the Ducati Monster. It is not as attractive and doesn't offer the performance of the M900 not to even mention the S4. The thing weighs far too much as well. Oh, and MO...this is what we get after 2 weeks?

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
At thirty-five, self-preservation and sanity have replaced most of my squidishness, with no more "Dood, let's see how fast we can do the North Cascades highway at night!" Not that I ever did such things, of course...

This new Yamaha looks like a fun bike. Enough torque to play, good looks, all it needs is a larger accessory windshield and hard-bags so I can out-pace all the boy-racer squids, who are stopped looking cool while their wrists and shoulders hurt like crazy.

Hold on, BMW already makes that bike! Oh well, if the the Bulldog is many thousands less than a non-ABS R1150R, it may very well be my next bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My thought exactly... warm over the VMAX mill maybe with the injection setup off the 02 R1...

Mr MAX in a state of the art frame would give the competiton fits!!!

Hmmm two V4's in the garage... I can live with that...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beginnings of a pig pile?

Yep, I've got to go with Ciao on this one. What's been going on there? Not even any news updates since the beginning of the weekend. Not what I had in mind.

Oh yeah, I don't think the bike will sell in the US either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Yawn

Another "may not come to the US" standard. Wouldn't the gsx1400 fall into this category? MO called the 2001 bandit "the sleeper bike of the year" and the gsx1400 engine is leaps ahead of it.

If you guys get it, than I can start hoping for the aftermarket to make this sweety fit my tall frame. :) I with you guys!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe you can de-restrict the motor. This has certianly been happening in Europe and is apparently simple to do. It's a case of cutting a wire or removing a shim. Can't remember which but I did read it in one of the mags.

The problem then becomes the handling and the clearance. One of the critisisms I heard was that it grounded out and dug in too easily. There were 6 crashes at the European launch.

There again.. what do they know? (says a rapidly americanising brit)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts