Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
The ZRX1200, Concours, and ZZR1200 have an engine design that goes back to 1984. Age is irrelevant. This motor is probably right for it's intended audience, but not in the US.

This bike looks great, I dig it. It reminds me of the 1986 SRX600. But I, like many who've already posted, want the Vmax motor in this basic package. Add some functional scoops, with a beefed up Max motor (1400cc's with a SERIOUS midrange), and maybe twin shocks (ala ZRX) and I would move mountains to get one. A V-twin just won't cut it for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
>Do you think Yamaha should bring this bike into the States? What say you?

It's never coming here because they (Yam) know us too well. It won't sell because on paper is doesn't match up with the competition in it's class. The same motor in a V-Star is perfectly acceptable but in a standard config, people (myself included) expect more.

The TDM, however, turns my head.. It might sell this time around. I won't hold my breath for that one either..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Yawn

I couldn't agree more. What's going on these days? As well, recently I have to look at ads in the middle of reviews notwithstanding paying extra for my subscription. MO you are slipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont think they should bring it into the states with such an underpowered motor.....it looks great......but specs out slooooow...i love singles & v twins....if the yamaha had my 97 suzuki tls motor id consider it.......with the present motor it is not worth even looking at ...let alone riding it....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not a sport bike, not a cruiser, not a tourer, not a dual-sport, not an adventure tourer, not a techo-showcase, not a nostalgia bike...just an upright seating position, big gas tank, plenty of torqe and shaft drive. Way too practical for us. Without fitting a category or having 100+ horsepower this thing would never sell in the US. Since motorcycles are primarily toys in the US we don't have much use for bikes designed to get you from point A to point B. Pity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it's got 2 wheels and an engine y'all should write about it IMO.

That was a well written article. The bike is definitely not normal and that is a good thing. I doubt if it would come to NA with that engine tuning. Me thinks either it's a slow news week or you are baiting your readers to give feedback.

In either case, well done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You know, it's bikes like this Bulldog that really force me to come to terms with the fact sometimes the Japanese manufacturers aren't really the most original designers & builders out there.

I mean, at first glance I thought this bike was a Buell, or else perhaps a Ducati Monster. And the engine is a twenty year old cruiser design? How lame is all that? At least the name gives credit where it's due:

BUELL-DUCATI => BUELL-DUC => BULLDOG.

I tell you what, if you want 20 year old technology in a brand new motorcycle, just get a Harley Davidson (V-ROD excepted, of course). I expect more from the Japanese manufacturers, however; I mean, how can the company who produces the freaking R1 come out with this (aptly named) dog?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As the owner of a VX800, an SV650 and a Ducati ST2, I can agree that this bike has much of what makes the VX such a great bike. I also agree that something more along the lines of a 944cc ducati engine or a larger version of the SV650 engine would be perfect in this very attractive and practical motorcycle. Even as it is, I bet with Progressive springs this bike would rock at the 8/10th speed at which one should ride on public roads. Yamaha should bring it to the US!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm with you mcjunkie. TDM's rock. Bulletproof reliability, plenty enough power for their intended purpose, great handling, docile manners, and a unique personality that I though was very cool. My blue '92 was one of my favorite bikes ever. I'm also with you in not holding my breath waiting for them to arrive on these shores again. That's a shame.

The only problem that the TDM has (in terms of the US market) is what it is not: a fire-breathing 100+ bhp monster.

cheers

spb

·
Registered
18 Posts
More power would be great, but isn't the V-Max motor much, much larger dimensionally and much heavier than this motor? I agree that the Max is a rompin' stompin mill, but it's liquid cooled, heavy and huge. IMHO, if Yamaha put in that motor, there goes the design premise behind the Bulldog. Might as well just get a V-Max.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SBP, If we write Yam and guarantee they'd sell at least two, d'ya think they'd bite? :)

You know the new one is a 900cc too.

compare to the Bulldog

90 lbs less dry

20 hp more

same fat torque..

and that 270° parallel twin should sound great.. Hoping that the VStrom will be a huge hit and Yamaha will bring the TDM over to cash in on the funky enduro market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately, the reality of what makes up U.S. buying decisions is the ability to brag to ones friends and not the actual riding of the motorcycle. Perhaps my riding influences have been milder than most of today's riders. I grew up attending Loudon every year since I was old enough for Dad to strap me to the bike for the ride up. My experience has told me that a bike with only 65hp. might not set the world on fire, but it will make someone very happy for a lot longer that either the monster or the sportster. If it doesn't sell well, then you have something for people to gawk at years down the road. This one I know from experience. "Is that the new Bandit 1200 naked?" Nope! It's ten years older and the orignal thank you. Real bragging rights in the real world. Bring it on Yamaha. Someone, somewhere is waiting to give that beauty a good home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a buell xb9r and I love it. I wouldn't even compare that bike to a buell. And if you don't understand why they have a bike like this in euro, then you probably don't understand why they make air-cooled cruisers & hog-knock-offs in the states. People like them. Of course I would like to see Buell make a water-cooled bike (repli-racer or light-naked sport) but to claim all bikes are old technology strictly based on the engine not being water-cooled is just stupid. The xb9r has one of the best frames of any sportbike. It pulls some decent HP from an air-cooled engine. I think if they opened it up and buell added a new tier of water-cooled bikes based on the xb frame, you'd see some crazy shiit happening. As of now, I like we're buell is heading & it's not in the past. Air-cooled will be in the bike world for a long time. The only reason the big 4 even makes them is because of the competition.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Your post is music to my ears

Right on.

Although it looks much better than the old Buells (remember those AirCleaner/Box sticking out), I just can't go for it. If I ever get the urge for a non sport bike the Monster or Mean Streak would be the first place I would start. Originality and beautiful designs really is the thing Italians are the best at. Now and then the Japanese suprise us with bikes like the Valkarye, Goldwing, R1, Haybusa, etc. They have their moments but you are right they are better at taking a concept and perfecting it like RC51 (Ducati inspired). Cruisers (Harley inspired) etc.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Before you bought your Buell what kind of other bikes did you have? I am just curious to see if any folks with Japanese sport bikes have converted to the Buell. Every new Buell guy I have run into either had a Harley or a some old Japanese standard (UJM) before they bought thier Buell. I really love the looks of the Firebolt and the cool gas in the frame thing. The motor and price/performance thing holds me back from buying one. You are right, if Buell ever puts in a *****in watercooled modern high hp& toruque V-Twin I'll be the first to rundown to try one.

The reliability thing is also another thing so please do us a favor by keeping us up to date on the reliability of your new bike. I think with any new model there are going to be some glitches but if Buell can conquer the reliability thing it will help me get down to the show room.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Yea what is up with the color thing?

I wish MO would corner some Manufacter Rep

and ask them why the big U.S. get so few color choices. Even Canada gets a better selection? I think the Brits have three color choices for the new Ceptor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I like it. Big twin, good torque and power. Shaft drive. ( Hydraulic valves? ) Sane riding position. Of course the big question is cost - how much would it sell for here?

Granted it's down on power and ground clearance, but for some of us, that's not a big deal.

Personally, I just like to ride - just be out and about on my bike in the sun. I putz around on it doing errands on the weekend. Go on the occaisional tour. Oh sure, every now and again I'll hit the backroads here in NCal, but you don't need a hyperbike to have fun on them.

So for folks like me - laid back, but prefer standards to cruisers - the Bulldog would be an interesting choice.

Of course, this is all academic, since the bike isn't being imported.

All isn't lost though, for folks that want a big twin that isn't in a hard core sportbike... VStrom anyone? :)

-- Michael

41 - 60 of 103 Posts