Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Over and Over...

Is this shocking? America's more more more mindset intersects nicely with the default, puerile "my bike is better than your bike" attitude so prevalent among riders that post on this site.

I didn't post on the original Bulldog review/group turd fling because of a growing apathy towards trying to convince others to see the light...i should have lit a candle rather than cursed the darkness... a cool looking, low maintenance, comfortable/non extreme bike, kind of beemer like in it's overt practicality. Excellent. Now we learn (again!) that such a bike will outperform by comfortable margin(and I mean comfortable in all its definitions) xtreme bikes when the practical moto rider has skill on his side. If rider skills are equal (usually they aren't), the xtreme bike will certianly outperform, but you'll pay for that in shortened rides, sore necks, and preperation-h.

This article was great to read. Vindicating for the quiet legions of slightly more mature riders out there, the ones that wave to all other riders, ride when it rains, maybe don't have a car, and aren't participating in the never-ending escalation of HP mindlessness.

yeah, i ride a k-bike beemer. flame away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK I have to let some air out of your balloon. Your talking about an 1100 cc bike, that costs and weighs more than the SV 650. How can you justify the fact that the Bulldog is not as good on power, usability, ridability, and looks to a 650. The SV is twice the bike for begginers and experts. Sorry I still don't think this is a good bike.

Larry

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Bulldog looks like a very nice, low-maintenance, comfortable, competent ride in a niche near BMW's R1150R. These kinds of standards suit my riding needs (commuting, light touring, just riding around) much better than a fully faired sport bike -- and you can even drop one without doing $1,000 worth of damage to the body work. Too bad Yamaha isn't bringing it here. I'd consider it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Okay, the looks part is subjective, right?

The power part is a given, although we've now had another demonstration that perhaps this isn't all that important to the demographic interested in purchasing this bike.

as far as useability and ridability, how do you know it's not as good?

not having to worry about a chain when you ride all the time, in the rain/ put lots of miles on is a very nice thing indeed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Read the whole article dude, he specifically took a friend on a better bike to see how they compared in the twisties, and the bull dog won. What more do you want him to do? Get them to shut down the road so he can go back and forth and get times or something? Seemed to me to be a decent real world test.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Over and Over...

Well, to be fair, what you really learned is that such a bike will outperform by a comfortable margin xtreme bikes when teh practicle moto rider has skill on his side and the terrain favors the riding style suited to the non-extreme bike

I commute every day here in Houston, TX. About 95 miles round trip, all year long, on a SV650. The SV is a real wonderful bike, but on 95% of the roads out here the xtreme bike will kick my butt. Becuase those roads are flat and straight. I doubt there is a hairpin curve within 200 miles of where I am sitting.

I love reading about people using the right tools for the right thing, but please know that not every tool works in every condition. Each bike is suited for certain things and not for others. It really comes down to what you do.

When it comes time for me to upgrade, I'm going to look at the ergos etc., but how a bike does in the twisties will have little effect on by purchase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A few facts

1.Italian riders never like being passed, specially sport bike riders.

2.Beginners in Europe are limited by law to 33hp/500 c.c. bikes depending on the country.

There is no such animal here as a "beginner on a rocket"

3.Nobody said its faster than an R1, but on this specific slow road things were level.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Yep it depends but all things being equal

I was in a similar situation i.e. I was on a sport bike and a guy on a BMW standard was chasing me down some real tistee hairpains. Now I am not that experienced but I found my Ninja was hard to crank around the really sharp tight turns. When the road went down in the valley and meandered gently along the river I was able to easily lose him i.e. I was in the comfront zone. I suspect though on this particular road anyone following on a Blast would have had an easier time than I did. But how many times are you on a road like that i.e. posted recomended (yellow sign) speed limit Not many so I tend to side with the folks that say the bulldog has low price/performance ratio. Other posters have mad the point about the insurance on a large cc bike to. In the U.S. , insurance really hits you hard on the bikes greater than 1000cc. If you going to ruin my insurance rate at least put Mr. Max's (VMax) engine in the bike.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Corrected post

I was in a similar situation i.e. I was on a sport bike and a guy on a BMW standard was chasing me down some real tistee hairpins. Now I am not that experienced but I found my Ninja was hard to crank around the really sharp tight turns. When the road went down in the valley and meandered gently along the river I was able to easily lose him i.e. I was in the confront zone. I suspect though on this particular road anyone following on a Blast would have had an easier time than I did. But how many times are you on a road like that i.e. posted recommended (yellow sign) speed limit is less than 20. Not many so I tend to side with the folks that say the bulldog has low price/performance ratio. Other posters have made the point about the insurance on a large cc bike to. In the U.S. , insurance really hits you hard if your bike is greater than 1000cc. If you going to ruin my insurance rate at least put Mr. Max's (VMax) engine in the bike.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Over and Over...

This American attitude does get sort of old. This is the sort of attitude that motivates people to buy .44mags when a .38 is more than sufficient to the task at hand. Then again there's always the minority who have to insult and degrade others in order to make themselves feel superior. Loads of these squids have no concept that just getting ijn the wind and riding for hours and hours in comfort at rational speeds can be as great a pleasure as the speed-induced adrenaline rush.

In nearly 40 years of riding I've ridden most everything from Puch 2-strokes, Ducatis and Nortons to Gixxers and HDs. Except for the incredibly unreliable bikes, of which all were British and Spanish, I've enjoyed them all. No bike can do everything. The sportbikes are awesome for quick runs, but for a long day of riding in the mountains it's the ol' naked streetbike for me, even a Sportster. This way I get an entire day of riding while the squids spend so much time in coffee shops straightening the kinks out of their backs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm still waiting!

Hey Burnsie, Minimeat, Hackfooey....Doooode's!

Here is an example of what I would love to see you guys do. A real world test of singles and twins! OK, fine! Throw in all motor configurations. It would be great to read about the KTM Duke, R1100SBX, VTX1800, XB9R, etc. going head to head in the real world, traveling across country for more than a day, and listing all of the idiosyncrasies, positive and negative, about the bikes. I am more interested in how much fun and how liveable a bike is than how much rear wheel horsepower it has or if it is raceworthy. The only specification I am really interested in is the weight of the bike, ready to ride, with a full tank of gas. OK, dyno's are cool, but everything else, will be in the article about real world riding. I know you have to hype, cause hype sells, but it's your words that guide the future of motorcycling.

Good job Yossef! How about a long term test on the Borile? I would like to hear your test of the Buell XB9R whenever it makes it to Europe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, you've made your point - almost anything can beat almost anything if the conditions are right, e.g. road/track geometry, rider skill, willingness to go like crazy around blind turns on two lane public roads, etc., etc. But now how about a sop to those unkwitting fools that plunked down big bucks for their liter sportbikes.

Here's a proposal for your next mix and match.

Bikes - GSXR-1000, any 600 sport bike, SV-650, XBR9, and of course a Bulldog if you can smuggle one in.

Venues - Big track at Willow Springs

1/4 mile drag strip

Secret desert road for top speed testing

Any suitable place for roll-ons and zero to 100 testing

(I recommend the GSXR because it is faster than the other liter bikes but cost the same.)

You don't have to give us a lot of small talk when you have the results - just the numbers will do fine.

This should make everyone happy.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
I dare MO to do your suggestion sherm (can they handle the truth?)

Yep can you do that ergo thing like Motorcyclist and Sports Rider. Just kidding. Sherm, I think you covered the bases on this one. If MO does what you say we could stop all debates on this site i.e. 600 vs 1000, inline 4 vs Twin, Liquid cooled Twin vs Aircooled, Dog vs world. What would we have to talk about it. OK I dare you MO ?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
I have to agree

I really liked the SV until I sat on it and rode it. It didn't fit me (I'm 6' 200 lbs) the pegs were in the wrong place for me. I was really disappointed cause it looked good, sounded fantastic, had good reviews etc. I ended up with ZX-6R which fit me better than anything under 750 cc.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts