Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! The FJ is quite a fine piece of work. If I hadn't just have purchased a new 1150RT last October, I'd be drooling all over one.

Honda and Yahama have been doing a fine job of trying to out do the BMW R1150RT. I looked at several bikes before choosing the Beemer, and all of them were faster and lighter (except the ST1100 which was a bit heaver, but more powerful). None of the bikes I test rode inspired more confidence than the BMW. Those RT brakes are simply magic.

Sure, the FJR will blow my hard cases off. Call it the "old fogey" in me, but theres more to motorcycling than just speed. Spend considerable time on an RT and you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If other modern Yammies are any guide, expect 26k miles between adjustment intervals.

Now, are these 145 horsies and 92 ft*lbs at the crank, or the rear wheel? I know they're not out to build another Blackbird or Busa here, but considering the engine displacement, would hope that these numbers would be at the rear end. If not, then expect considerable losses, and rear wheel numbers similar to the (also) shaft driven V-Max, ~115 hp and 84 ft*lbs. Certainly not disappointing, but way below the potential of this engine's displacement. Think of the recent ZX1200R's dyno output, 167 rwhp and (95?) ft*lbs. Yeah, I know this one is designed for higher-mileage touring duty, but still.....

Anyway, I sure do wish I could have seen one in the flesh. Why in God's name didn't Yamaha put one in the Cycle World Show circuit? I want one, but am unsure whether I'd gamble $500 sight-unseen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Where's the ABS option?????

Lighten up Francis, at least its coming.

Yamaha is in business. Supply chain changes require planning. They can't just decide to ship the European bikes here and have it happen the same day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At the risk of camping on to the overall sentiment, I will. The motorcycle show was just here (St. Louis) last weekend where I spoke to one of the factory reps. We need to show Yamaha that they made the right decision bringing this beauty to US.

My delight at seeing the ST1300 at the show is now rapidly fading at this FANTASTIC news.

All this and the price is right as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The position of the factory rep I spoke to last weekend in St. Louis was that BMW riders comprised a very different market from other riders in that they are very unlikely to come away from BMW for any reason or product offered. They probably have their numbers (unfortunately) right on this and their rationale as well.

The fact that they are, what I consider, test marketing the FJR here means they are responding somewhat to the motorcycling publics opinion on the matter and reacting from the hunch on this one. They could easily trump Honda on this one at this time, because the ST1300 isn't coming here soon either.

I personally wish them the best of luck. I have some serious soul searching to do about this bike now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which is precisely why those of us must pony up and own the FJR ASAP. It is also why MO and all others must get a comparo out ASAP. Yamaha's marketing machine can only do so much. There is no substitute for word of mouth, getting out and riding with others, evangelizing the FJR at every possible instance.

The trick of this will be to keep the numbers up for several years straight. I personally believe that the FJR is a fantastic opportunity to tour with my wife riding along, yet without the 'fogey' label that is implicit in something like a Gold Wing. Too young for that now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. You still have your Vision? I thought I was the only one. I had a Venture and a Vison at the same time. I could take more miles per day on the Vision, but more days on the Venture. I sold the Venture after getting married and partner wouldn't take trips on it anymore. Since becoming single again, I've wanted it back. I haven't been impressed enough with what's out there when comparing the Vision and what they cost. Maybe the FJR1300 will have what it takes. The Brit road test I read on the web was mostly fluff and praised about everything, but MO may do a more critical job when they get one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would take the "521 lbs. dry" with many grains of salt. The Japaneese companies in particular, are notoriously optimistic (read, downright dishonest) when quoting weights. Is it accurate to measure the weight of a liquid cooled machine w/out coolant and a battery? I think not. This is something that should be standardized w/in the industry, or at least agreed upon by the manufacturers. Maybe the newly acquired Mr. Burns could tackle this one.

This bike will come in at well over 600 lbs. with a tank of gas. Anyone who thinks this will be some sort of light weight touring bike will be sorely disappointed. Other than that, I have no problems with it and welcome the choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool bike! Want one!

Have a look at the ****pit shot though....is the indicator light farthest to the right on the bottom row of idiot lights the "check engine" light common to most EFI engines? If so why does it have to pe a picture of a automotive style lump with a big air filter on top and a nasty ol' fan poking out the front?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yamaha is still pissed off about the GTS debacle. That bike was similar to this one in purpose only, but I think Yamaha is just suffering from once bitten twice shy. They got burned the only time they brought a bike like this to market, but don't realize why the bike in question didn't actually didn't sell.

--Foxy

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Take a RS for a test ride then check out the fjr. The FJR probably will win out, well at almost half the price after taxes and thats without the bags on the RS. I love my RS to death and have 14K miles on it in under 9 months. The telelever front end is too sweet when out playing, but you cant adjust the front suspension. Then again I havent had the need to. Few things most people dont know is on the 02 KRS cruise control is now stock, comes in handy on those 500+ mile days, heated grips are stock, power socket and 700 watt alternator (heated jackets rock!). Also you have POWER ABS brakes. One finger is all I use to haul her down corner to corner. Though the front brake activates both brakes, some people dont like linked systems but this one I cant tell that they are linked, the bike just plain stops and stops quickly. My favorite thing about the RS though is the adjustabilty. I went out playing on thursday and raised the pegs, lowered the bars and windscreen and had a blast. Then you can raise the bars, lower the pegs and raise the screen and go back into tour / commute mode. BTW Im 6'6 with a 36 inseam... Still would like to see what the Yami has to offer though, been intrigued by this bike since it hit the other side of the pond.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First, a BIG Thank-You! to MO for bringing us this 'scoop news'...I wonder when the print guys will get the word out? Thanks to any and all of you who wrote or called or lobbied Yamaha to bring the FJR1300 to the U.S. Put my deposit down this morning...now the waiting begins. I hope everyone who 'committed' to buying if they brought it in, in fact, buys....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mattg,

America is the reason Americans don't get the first and newest 'stuff'; we are so litigious that all manufacturers are terrified to bring anything to our market that hasn't had a couple years of real-world testing first.

Remember, we are the reason there are s*****-bag lawyers (if there was no demand for them, there wouldn't be any), and if we'd stop sueuing about everything, we'd have the cool goods first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dave - took the words right out of my mouth. At 6'4" & 34" inseam & 250# would be nice to have a comfortable tourer that fits. I took a chance and put my deposit down today. Guaranteed delivery by Aug - according to the shop owner.

rich

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too was ecstatic when hearing of the upcoming release of the sport-touring holy grail. I was pumped and writing that $500 check. Then reality set in. Following the info of a post listed here, I went to the european fjr website: www.fjrowners.com. There I found some disturbing news:

The new fjr appears to be a cooker in hot weather. According to some Australian owners, starting at 85 degrees or so, it becomes down right unbearable. Apparently the engine vents all the heat onto your left leg. Not a good thing for me who lives in Arizona, where we are already getting some 80 degree weather, and that 100-120 degrees is not too far away.

I want to get rid of my Connie for two reasons: The BUZZZZZZ, and it cooks me well done in the summer. To me, the whole idea behind this type of bike is to be fairly comfy, and over the years I have found that no matter how much I like a bike, if I am not comfy, I dont get on it as much. (Connie in the Arizona summer)

Sounds like I need to rip up that check for $500 and wait for some testing and time in the states. I guess the new st1300 and R1150RT are back on the option table, if I could ever afford one of them.

Hopefully, in the future, MO will do another sport-tourer comparo including the fjr, st1300, R1150RT, and maybe a few others.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too was ecstatic when hearing of the upcoming release of the sport-touring holy grail. I was pumped and writing that $500 check. Then reality set in. Following the info of a post listed here, I went to the european fjr website: www.fjrowners.com. There I found some disturbing news:

The new fjr appears to be a cooker in hot weather. According to some Australian owners, starting at 85 degrees or so, it becomes down right unbearable. Apparently the engine vents all the heat onto your left leg. Not a good thing for me who lives in Arizona, where we are already getting some 80 degree weather, and that 100-120 degrees is not too far away.

I want to get rid of my Connie for two reasons: The BUZZZZZZ, and it cooks me well done in the summer. To me, the whole idea behind this type of bike is to be fairly comfy, and over the years I have found that no matter how much I like a bike, if I am not comfy, I dont get on it as much. (Connie in the Arizona summer)

Sounds like I need to rip up that check for $500 and wait for some testing and time in the states. I guess the new st1300 and R1150RT are back on the option table, if I could ever afford one of them.

Hopefully, in the future, MO will do another sport-tourer comparo including the fjr, st1300, R1150RT, and maybe a few others.

41 - 60 of 174 Posts