Motorcycle Forums banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Patrick

The day you post evidence of the existence of a light or middle-weight sport tour bike having similar load capacity, comfort (maybe you missed how big Americans are getting?), & performance vs. the Yamaha, is the day, as Modonna would say,"Monkeys fly out my butt." Load capacity, performance, & comfort costs money & weight. In the case of the 1300cc Y, the money part is good, the weight is unavoidable. To make a similar bike that weighed siginificantly less would cost about $100k, & there is no market for that, regardless of your suggestion. The size is needed for comfort & load capacity. With the size comes mass, meaning more motor, & more mass. You missed physics 101.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My favorite and highest mileage old bike was a '78 Yamaha XS1100 standard. I added a fairing and bags and I know it weighed in at well over 600 pounds. (It started at over 600 pounds!) This sounds like the bike for which I've been weighting(!) many years. Shaft drive inline 4 with better handling and more power than any of my old bikes and a reasonable price. Sign me up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not true. The dealer doen't get the deposit, Yamaha does. You will have to go after Yamaha directly to try to get the deposit back. I spoke at length about this subject to a local dealer, because I wanted to make sure that I was locked into finanacing and such, so that I wouldn't be out the money when the bike showed up. The dealer sends the check and paperwork directly to Yamaha, and the conditional "Non-refundable" is in writing on the paperwork. Yamaha is definitely "tip-toeing" this bike into the U.S. Doesn't seem as if they are very commited.

·
Registered
155 Posts
(And three weeks after THAT....)

Look, I'm not saying anything about middleweight bikes with that kind of carrying capacity. I'm just talking about middleweight bikes in general. Yamaha doesn't have a good beginner's bike in its lineup that doesn't have obvious cruiser pretensions, and that's a downer.

I'm not interested in something with half the displacement doing a job equal to the big FJR, if such a thing is technically possible (which I likewise doubt, no need to call my grades into question), nor did I ever propose such a questionable thing. I'm interested in something with half the displacement that would be a good all-around kind of everyday bike, which Yamaha is clearly ignoring in favor of the heavy stuff. I'm suggesting they should broaden their model range at the lower end for those of us who don't want or aren't ready for a 1300cc continent-crusher, nothing more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Dealer? The ST1300 like the FJR is yet to be proven. The Honda will cost quite a bit more (ABS should be standard) and the V-4 will probably be smoother. BUT! about 90lbs and 30 hp is quite a difference. Plus the 2 to 3 thousand difference in price. I have a big smooth two up tourer. This one is for me! If I could read German I could learn how its done in Europe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: I'm hooked

Like many of you I've been combing the web for information on the FJR. I have a big BMW tourer and am looking for a mostly one up sport tourer. Here is a site to check out from Europe

http://www.fjrowners.com/

I think I saw it posted earlier but was reading to catch up. Hope the dealers get more than 2 since I'm #6

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over a year ago, I bought a new Honda Valkyrie... it's a great bike... fast, but big and bulky. I wanted a FJR1300, but then it was "Europe only." Well, my $500 went down in April and the wait is on. Why August? Why not June? I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, nice comparision. Problem was the ergos were not that great for sport touring and there were no hard bags and it buzzed a bit. But of course that was almost 10 years ago and I've considered buying a clean used one off and on for the last few years because it is more comfortable than it's replacement, the Black Bird.

Hopefully Honda will give up on the top speed crap and let brand Kawasuki fight it out between itself and ... itself. They should follow the example of this bike with the Blackbird ... more upright and comfortable seating, a little more wind protection while still not having a ST 1100 barn door sized fairing, nice lines and power and viola! As they have the ST already I guess I'd keep the chain on the BlackBird II. Kawi has done exactly this on the ZZR-1200, another interesting bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to live in Arizona (Phoenix) and rode an XS11 in 110+ degree heat in mid-summer and freezing cold in winter. Now I live in the SF bay area and cold is my biggest concern. I'm dissapointed that Yamaha didn't extend the fairing out to the handlebar grips. There appears to be no wind protection for the hands on this bike. I realize this is a minor complaint, but the competition seems to have covered this. Take a look at the BMW R1100RT if you want to see some great bodywork. That bike offers very good wind protection, an adjustable windscreen, and heated grips to boot!!! I rode a new one recently and was very impressed. It's actually a much closer comparo than the K1200LT. I am very glad to see the Sports Tourer market getting some significant good hardware as I'm not really into the crotch rocket bikes. I'm 45 years old now and If I want to go fast I'll drive my Mustang Cobra R with a full roll cage, 5-point safety harnesses, air bags, and a Halon fire system. Unfortunately it's not a really good daily driver though (duh!!!). I'm really looking for a bike like this to commute to work and back on, and take weekend rides with my wife.

CobraRGuy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok this sounds like a Yamaha press release. Ride the bike then let us know how it is, not how Yamaha wants us to believe it is. Shouldn't Yamaha let a few of these bikes out for testers/journalists to evaluate before asking people to put deposits down on them. Its not like they are preproduction modles. Oh wait Yamaha did let other on line free motorcycle sites ride these bikes. Just makes me wonder!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was thinking about buying an fz1 and wound up with a red st1100. I am satisfied with the long distance capability and the comfort of two up riding, but I get jealous when I see someone on an FZ1 with all that power and performance and what looks like a more comfortable riding position than my st.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yzf r6, yzf600r - which I have seen decked out for some gnarly sport touring - emphasis on sport, virago 250, vstar classic 650, and probably some others that are only available in europe.

161 - 174 of 174 Posts