Motorcycle Forums banner

Yamaha FJR1300 reader feedback

39K views 173 replies 89 participants last post by  randini 
#1 ·
Finally!

Now I just have to convince the wife I need another bike. This one is too perfect not to buy!

luvmyvfr

soon to luvmyfjr

#6 ·
It's about bloody time!!! When are the big manufacturers going to realize that all Americans are not infatuated with cruisers, and start bringing to our shores the cream of the crop that never seems to leave europe. This applies to not only the basic bike but also to some of the color options they get over there. Take for example the Honda 1100xx, we get one paint option, while the europeans get what? four I believe. As for the new 1300, I'm begining to regret buying my new Fz1. Guess I'll have to rob a bank and clear out more space in the garage.

By the way Burns still rocks.

#11 ·
Well, SHAT!

I've spent the "off season" sprucing up my venerable `93~94 BMW R1100RSA because there wasn't anything else out there that I wanted and Yamahahahaha had said no way on the FJR.

Guess I'll have to rool on up to 100K on the R11 and wait till next year to get the FJR.

My timing sucks!

#12 ·
Geez, 521 lbs dry; 145 hp & 93 ft-lbs; big tank; trick screen; adjustable suspension; a real (good) price and taking orders now! I've been waiting a long time for the ST1300, but this makes it tough. Plus, the Yami's been in production for 18 months, so any new model bugs should be gone.

Does anyone know the valve adjustment interval?

I remember reading in an early review that the seat gets pretty painful after an hour, but all the seat builders will offer substitutes. Have there been any other mechanical issues with the Euro models?

#16 ·
Bikes for Sale! Need FJR1300!!

For Sale:

One 1993 Kawasaki ZX11, 10k miles, all stock, total mint condition, ugly "ninja" stickers removed, gorgeous stock red paint, no loser-dork polishing of any kind. Scary fast. $6500

One 1982 Honda CBX, Pearl White, 25K, all highway miles, completely stock, perfect condition, babied, never abused. Runs perfect. A total classic. $5000.

Reason for selling: need $11,500 for new FJR1300. This thing is gonna be awesome. ROCK ON YAMAHA!

Bill Roberson

www.greatoldbikes.com

#17 ·
But after all those rude things you said about Mr Le Santo the other day, it seems odd that you'd use his copy on the FJR...

Incidentally, whatever your issues with Glen, I really don't think that was a very professional way for you to progress them. I trust that if there's a record to be put straight, you'll be putting it straight with equal prominence?

Ken Haylock

#20 ·
Where's the ABS option?????

C'mon Yamaha, it is an option in Europe, why not here? You produce a state-of-the-art, all weather, long distance sport tourer but don't allow US customers to get ABS? The engineering is done. I know some customers don't want it. Fine, make it an option like Honda is doing on the ST, VFR, and GW.

I love this bike but if feels like Yamaha is setting itself up for failure. They said all along that there isn't a market in the US for the bike. Now they bring it in limited quantities with some screwy pre-order scheme, in one color only, and without the ABS option which is available on all the competition and is a must-have for a significant portion of the market for this bike. Keep this up Yamaha and your self-fulfilling prohecy will come true.

- Mark

#25 ·
Glenn and Motorcycle Online are getting everything worked out. Despite large errors on both of our parts, we're coming to terms and getting things squared away. He's been a valuable resource here at MO and is an integral part of it. The way I see it, everybody makes mistakes, no matter how large, and we need to forgive, forget and move on. It's in everybody's best interest, really.

#26 ·
I had a go on one a while back when on a visit home (I live in LA these days but hail fom the UK). I'm nearly 6'5" with a 36" inseam and 270lbs. The seating position was almost as good as my 1150gs. Maybe a tad more cramped, with the footpegs set back a bit. Having said that, I often end up riding the GS with the balls of my feet on the pegs to get my legs back a bit, so you might prefer it.

Now I come to think about it, after the Concours you'll find it a touch more sporty in ergos. As for a comparison between that and the BMW.. I'd like to see that MO..

My guess is the result would be close, with the soft fork of the FJR losing out to the RS, but then winning it back on power and price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.