Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've waited for the manufacturers to produce a bike like this for a LONG time. Now it's almost here and I'm starting to get that warm and fuzzy feeling. My deposit is in place and all I have to do is wait. Unfortunately, my other bikes can sense that a new brother will soon be parked in the stable next to them. They are already growing quite jealous because they know when it arrives, all they'll be doing is collecting dust as I ride my buns off. Thank you Yamaha for making a bike for me and at a price that is quite inviting!!! If only you could have brought it over in a color that can be seen by the cagers.

D.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your right, no one should mention the Concours, or the 8K out the door price of a motorcycle that can eat up many miles with comfort at triple didgit speeds. Yes I agree that the Connie is out dated. Maybe thats why Kawasaki came out with the ZZ-R1200, and still keeps the Connie in thier line up for the poor working man whos wife would not think of letting spend 12K for a motorcycle, while she drives a 8K Kia.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice Dyno graph! This may have to be the replacement for my ST11 instead of the new 'onda. I would probably be more partial to that yummy yamaha-blue paint that has been on the R1/R6 these past few years but otherwise I think I'll call a few dealers to begin the haggling. One question that you all might hopefully answer is this: How does the FJR compare in sporting capability compared to the new VFR8? I don't need lap times but maybe just a subjective assesment. For instance, on a medium speed backroad could Burns on a VFR800 outrun minime on the FJR or would he be cursing at his rearview mirrors? Assume JPB is not hungover.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
154 Posts
its curious that the ZZR and the FJR are supposedly market rivals and yet they are very different machines. So what is this percieved difference?

simply this: it seems that the ZZR would make a much handier urban use bike, a sharper sportster, but not quite as competent a contintent crosser. Seems like they both approach the same goal from different directions. The ZZR is a toury sportbike. The FJR is a sporty tourer.....

If I could have an additional local/urban use bike, I would love to have an FJR.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
A friend of mine who is a six-footer recently bought a ZZ1200. He's going to get some special handlbars made for it because in makes him lean too far forward and puts a crick in his neck after about an hour. Still, he really likes it.

To bad that the ZZ1200 isn't equipt with a shaft. Chain life is way too short on big hundred-plus horsepower beasts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The long and the short of it veefer, is that you had to have a $500 "non-refundable, non transferrable" deposit down by April 30th at your local Yammy dealer in order to pay the $11,500 MSRP. No new sales available now, at least for the rest of this year.

I too anxiously await the ST test(s). So many good bikes to choose from...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two of my biker friends and I went in last week and posted $500 each for the priority delivery program. That means you'll see us on Quicksilver at Alice's Restraunt this August!!! Eat your hearts out girlies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not just a matter of who wins the dyno runs. The BMW's have lots of torque, a big torque curve, and more than enough horsepower. They have the best suspension in the world, in my opinion, and they are perfectly balanced. Have you ridden one? Have you braked mid-corner on a BMW and experienced the Telelever suspension, which keeps the front end from diving? Don't knock it 'til you try it. It's not the nameplate you're paying for, it's the superior motorcycle you get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wonder why people continue to compare bikes that are in (mostly) different categories. The Futura resides at the sporting end of the sport-touring continuum (sp) while the FJR is clearly at the touring end of same. While the Yam. has significantly more HP, the Aprilia is ~80 lbs. lighter (540 vs. 620, wet). Not an insignificant amount as long time riders know. Also, the riding positions of these two are totally different. The Yam. is bolt upright while the Futura is much more sporting.

The trade-off is this. The Yam. may be a better very-long distance mount by virtue of wind and weather protection but for me, the Aprilia will be more fun to ride 90% of the time due to its superior handling, excellent low and mid-range torque and even its peak HP of 100 is more than adequate (yields 1/4 mile times in the mid 11's if I'm not mistaken). And it has standard hard bags as well.

I see I have digressed. AFAIC, the FJR should only be compared to the Honda ST1100/1300, BMW R1150RT and the Concours, though I may have overlooked one or two.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It appears to be a very nice bike and the local Yamaha dealer will be getting one this year. They also want the previously mentioned deposit on this bike. You can test drive it just as soon as you buy it. That is my problem with the dealer not the bike. I won't buy a pair of shoes without trying them on my feet. I won't buy a $11,000 bike without test driving it first. I guess that I'll be buying another BMW this year as they will let me drive it before I buy it.

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
First I want to complement Yamaha for giving us a bike that's well worth the money.

This is a real world bike that's going to bring a lot of riders a lot of joy.

I will certainly consider this bike for my next purchase.

Let me throw this idea out there though. How about a bike with a fairing thats designed

to be removable, and when it's removed the bike looks just as good. The problem with

a fairing is that when it gets really hot, well then the rider with a fairing is really missing out on something. Or how about a fairing thats designed to let the air in as well as keeping the air out. It seems a shame to have great engineers and not give them a truly challenging task. I think both scenerios could truly be accomplished. This idea is has no bearing on this particular model, just thought I would throw it out there.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts