Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been reeding MO for a few years and they don't seem to get as ruffled about weight figures as the readers. I think dry weight is a fair measure since you can roughly add the liquid weights from capacity specs. I would doubt that any of the faired, bagged and shafted tourers liquid weights vary much more than 20 lbs. So, however, you play with the numbers my bagged. faired and shafted ST is gonna suck the paint off your bagged, faired and shafted ST because it weighs 100 lbs less while making way more ponies. It's a typo or MO would have offered up at least a minimal qualification...especially since it was so close to exactly 100 pounds off.

Wayne proving that BS in Texas has no measure ;o)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I plead insanity.... I saw the ST1300 at the Dallas show and the bags struck me and my sport touring buddy as smallish. The pictures on the MCN thing show a bag much wider than what I remember at the show. Our other complaint was that the bag was molded into the body work which makes operation of the bike WITH bags almost mandatory. I prefer to reduce the exposure time of the expensive little boogers when I'm doing local miles and must remove them to manage the restricted parking room in my garage. I would estimate that about 75% of the times I hit the start button, the bags are not on. I am, again, relying on my failing memory on the fact of the mandatory mount situation. Anybody got a picture of the bike without bags?

Wayne tricked again in Texas

·
Registered
350 Posts
The listed 620 is an actual, full with fuel, saddlebags on (but empty), ready-to-go measured wet weight.

Oh, and the windscreen was in the "down" position...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Porsche seems to like it too, Subaru also and how about the 10 billion bugs on the road?

The K1 is an Inline 4 but like all of the K bikes its longitudinally mounted and layed on its side. With the head just in front of your left foot and the crankcase in front of your right. Keeps the weight low and a nice line of site for the shaft drive on the right side.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My error, the Triumph is a triple. Still that was not the point of my post. I guess you could also correct my grammar and spelling too. How many fingers do I have up now?

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great car engine does not make great bike engine,unless "agricultural" is your definition of greatness.

K bike powerplant is the cause for long wheelbase,short ahh "swingarm",just opposite to what you really need for good handling.

Also cylindr head is very easily damaged in case of even very modest crash,broken cam wheels,bent valves,etc. saw two K 1200 rs with this kind of damage.

BMW riders remind me H-D crowd.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe that we could get autograph from Paris-Dakar winners on BMWs. How many has your choice of manufacturer won?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reason you haven't heard anyone complain about the handling of the Goldwing's boxer is because there's no reason to complain.

Here's three reasons why....

1. Park your RT next to a Goldwing. Now, compare the height of the jugs. The CL of the RTs are more than 4 inches above the CL of the Goldwings. Because the RT's are higher (farther from the CG and twice the mass), the rider has less negotiating power over them. The best comparison I can think of is found in Yam's 426. The biggest difference between a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke is the overhead cams / valves. Yam went to titanium head components to reduce weight and the gyro effect produced when the cams / valves are flying at 12000 rpm. The input required in turns is huge when compared to the 2 strokes valveless heads, but it offers other torque advantages.

2. You mentioned the GW's 4 cylinders. That's another key, it means 1/2 the stroke / displacement / rotating mass is sticking closer to the CG at any given time. 1/2 the rotating mass = 1/2 the effort. In a full blown tourer like the Goldwing, it's not a problem.

3. Finally, the BIG GW is the 5' crowbar I mentioned in my earlier post.

I could go on and on about the design / handling flaws associated with the application of a boxer motor in a MOTORCYCLE, but I like my BMW friends too much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
And the latest issue of Rider mentions that the new R1150RT surges....

As for a pretty badge, my new 2002 Goldwing 1800 comes with a 36 month, UNLIMITED mileage warranty. You know it's tough to try to play the game of one-upmanship when you bring so little to the table.

Anyone else want a Wing, ask for Kevin at Thousand Oaks Honda Suzuki.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Ok, then add those up. Now add how many championships BMW has won in Superbike, Supersport, 500cc grand prix, 250cc grand prix etc etc. in the last 20 years. Er, ZERO? Oh, I'm sorry, I guess the only race that counts is the Dakar, sheesh!

·
Registered
246 Posts
How about since the 1970's it was the only one they tried to win. I forgot how does the amount of track wins translate to a great bike for daily use. NASCAR cars win a lot of races but I sure wouldn't want to drive one everyday.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Funny that JB didn't comment on that surge. It's also funny that I've not noticed it. The Gold Wing is a fine bike. But then I never said that BMW was the only manufacturer that produced good bikes. I said they were the only one who let me test drive one first. I will defend BMW against those who say they're crappy bikes. They are good bikes for those who choose to spend the money for one. If you can't afford one, just say that. Don't say the grape were probably sour anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Your memory is indeed short, you brought up the racing point. As for how racing improves bikes, well let's see... where do you think disc brakes came from? The list goes on but obviously you are lost in your own little blue and white bubble. Guess you never heard of the phrase "Racing improves the breed". Manufacturers use it as a test bed for technology that filters down to the street. Where do you think that ABS brakes came from? The ones that BMW uses on their bikes? From racing in the desert? Er, no, everyone with half a brain knows that ABS is useless in the dirt . Oh, but I guess I assume too much with you....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Again....many bike shops let you test ride their bikes. Thousand Oaks Honda allows test rides. As for not being able to afford a BMW, well have you seen the prices of Goldwings? It also looks great in my garage next to my M5 and my Suzuki superbike. Yup, I do actually own a Beemer, but it's a car. Now those are great, the bikes? Not so much. Why don't you check out micapeak.com. It is an owners' registry where real live people post their experiences with their bikes. Read some on any model BMW if you dare. Pretty hilarious reading, but don't feel so bad, I'm sure you'll impress someone with your bike....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mr Huss,

Since you have decided to try and make my choice of motorcycle a personal attack as to my intelligence etc, I will no longer respond to your obviously emotionally biased view points. I would not personally attack any rider because of the bike they choose.

Good Day,

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
You'll be waiting a long time. ST1300's are sold out for the year. Howcome nobody's mentioned the weight of the ST1300? Aluminum frame or not, the porker is only 60 lbs less than the ST1100 and 89 lbs more than the FJR. After wrestling 2 (original) Yammie Ventures and one Gold Thing 250K miles over the last 15 years, it should feel pretty good having 350+ lbs less to hold up. Hell, if I don't like the FJR, there's always a Helix or Reflex scooter...

61 - 80 of 81 Posts