Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have no doubt the Yam will be a good bike. But peak hp numbers aren't everything. I'm curious to see how the torque on the Yam is compared to the B12. I saw one at the Dallas show and it looks lighter and should provide better ground clearance due to higher pegs than the B12. Still at the local track day, other than fellow racers on racebikes my own bone stock (even the tires) B12 beat on the sportbikes there easy. As they say, the rider is the thing that matters most. It's just nice to see another 'standard' come along that can embarrass squids on "faster" bikes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
FZ1

I also can see myself buying a half faired bike in the next few years, to go along side my gixxer. I think it would have to be a twin though, Monster900, TLs, Superhawk, etc. This looks cool nonetheless, but I envision half faired bikes as twins or v-fours at least. Gotta have that mean sound and massive torque on one of these :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm already a member on the FZ1 site, I've got a deposit (first in line) on an FZ at the local dealer, and I can't wait for MO's full review.

After looking and looking, this is definitely the bike for me.

-Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
CO Native

Where abouts in Colorado? I grew up on a ranch outside of Brighton (and graduated from CSU).

I'm very familiar with those unpaved roads! Of course, at the time, I had a Yamaha Enduro 360...

As for seat height (I have a deposit on an FZ1), I personally am glad it's tall (I'm 6'1"). I don't like sitting scrunched up, and I like the extra ground clearance.

-Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep since granted no one bike appeals to everybody or is even meant to, the only thing to discuss is whether it has enough appeal to make it against *direct* competition. The 600-class fulltilt sportbikes are NOT the direct competition to most prospective buyers, but any "sporting standard" of say 900-1200cc would be. That could be anything from the bigger Duc Monsters to the Triumph Speed Triple to the R1100 Beemer to the Bandit 1200 to the ZRX 1200. While you don't get the panache and legendary marque of certain Euros (some would call it snob appeal), IMO it does offer more eye candy than the other Japanese and is competent within it's class to say the least. That's all it takes to sell of bike of this genre --competence in all areas *and* curb appeal. The FZ1 has it. But make mine black.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting bike. Although I'll be buying the new GSXR1000, these bikes have an appeal to me for long-distance use. They remind me of my old '83 GS1100ES I rode one summer from So. Cal. to Colorado and back. I think Yamaha did a good job with this one, but could've done a little better. Why detune the motor? Having 2 similar motors with different parts inside, and a different outside finish costs more money in the long run, because you have to do the R&D on the cams etc., stock 2 diffrerent P/N's for all the different engine and chassis parts, etc. Also, why do you get the cheaper frame, brakes, and suspension units? Besides, is the new-found tourque really that noticeable with the 50 lbs or so added on? Why not just take all the same mechanical bits, put on a new 1/4 fairing, new top triple clamp (for regular bars), new pegs, side panels, and seat, and call it a day? I think the firmness of the stock suspension would be much more tolerable with a more comfortable riding position, and the better engine and brakes would be welcome. Maybe Suzuki will build one out or it's new 1000. Time will tell....

·
Registered
44 Posts
The changed tuning was to get the power band into more 'real world' ranges. Lowering the RPM's needed for decent goose around town is a good thing; I'm not sure how the torque will pan out with the added weight though. We'll see. Even with all that, the FZ1 power plant is not the de-tuned mistakes found in a lot of other standards. It's more "re-tuned."

As far as the frame and suspension components go, the reason is money. Yamaha needed to get the price down in the same range as other naked standards to compete well. The front brakes are taken straight off the R1, with slightly different pad material. (The rear disk is bigger than the R1's at 267mm, a change made due to the different weight distribution of the two bikes.)

-Tom

·
Registered
337 Posts
FIFTY POUNDS?!?!?! What the freaking hell is this? Did they add lead to the R1 cases? Don't even try to tell me that a cheaper steel frame adds that much weight. Cast iron, maybe, but not tubular steel.

I still like the damned thing, but now I am afraid I will hear the "tuned for midrange torque" bull that means "25 less hp." Yeah, the R1 is known for having a weak midrange. I am really worried we will hear about a 500lb, 105hp, seriously comprimised quasi sportbike.

Why is this so hard?Give us full power and nice ergos. Pretty simple compared to a 5 valve head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I completely agree. Sporty standards are my favorite kind of bike for real-world riding, so I'd love to see a comparison like this. R1150R, ZRX1200, Bandit, Monster 900, Speed Triple, Cagiva Raptor 900, did I miss any?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did anyone else notice that Yamaha has cleverly put the FZ logo on the bottom part of the fairing where it will be clearly visible while in a wheelie? Very thoughtful, since there will clearly be a LOT of wheelie pictures of this bike in the press in a few weeks. :^)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Seat height?

I think that your lists of relative seat heights tells the story. There are loads of bikes of all types that have low seat heights. That's great if you lack confidence or are short, but it's a pain the knees for those of us taller than average. Sure, I'm biased by my height (6' 3"), but it seems to me that some 34"-seat-height sporty bikes with good cornering clearance AND reasonable seat-to-peg distances are long overdue.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Gee, I was certain this stupid first post crap would go away once they required people to register.

At least have something to post, then if you must brag about first post. But honestly, I don't think anybody gives a damn

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: CO Native

I live in Boulder, and mainly ride the smaller, tighter mountain canyons--Lefthand and Coal Creek are the most civilized that I like. I firmly believe that Boulder Canyon is a deathtrap, and I get tired of all the traffic.

I've been riding around the Fort Collins area, and there are some real fun tertiary roads around there if you look hard enough ;)

Starving Student

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just curious, but what is "amazingly weird" about the Bandit? I would definitely rather have the Fazer than the Bandit if they cost the same, but as it stands, I would take a Bandit and the cash for mods . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, when do we get to see Honda's 929 Hornet? That will be the bike to have. What is the deal with Honda building a similar bike to the FZ-1? I know there was some article earlier in the MO news about a CB900.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts