Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems quite likely that the Yamaha reorganization might have something to do with the rules changes in GP. Now that Yamaha's #1 rider is in GP and four strokes are soon to be involved the resources are probably going to head in that direction. If they do develop a 4 stroker for that series it is going to be quite expensive and time consuming. Contrary to what many believe resources are not unlimited. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think Yamaha is looking forward to the expected rules change allowing for a 1000cc limit for the entire field of WSBK(supposedly 2002). It seems to me they have a pretty solid base to work on for the new displacement limit bike if they choose to re-enter when the deck is more stacked in their favor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If one watched the 500GP from Phillip Island last night, one could not have missed the similarities between that and the typical 125GP But those guys were on 500s! F1 cars just wish they could put on that show. I look forward to seeing Haga-San on the 500. Since the 500's are lame ducs(pun intended) themselves, I want to see every talented rider there is on them next year so later on we can all look back and say...Remember them great days in ''01, when all the 500s were within a couple of seconds on the grid...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Everyone, and oftentimes haga, have dogged the r7 this year for being down on top speed. We all know Haga had to ride the balls off that bike to finish as well as he did. I think yamaha is doing the smart thing, which is one of three things:

1) They have decided to pull the r7 and develop a new bike for WSBK (possibly a twin??).

2) Simply pull out of the series b/c they got jerked around.

3) Dedicate their racing efforts to AMA and GP500

or

4) Make that 4 stroke GP contender.

Whichever it is, I think that since yamaha doesn't have the honda finances, this move will ultimately be a smart one because it frees up valuable rescources within the company. Hopefully Yamaha will come back bigger and better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sad thing is that by not racing the R7, Yamaha will lose sales in WSC countries as the R1 & R6 are inline 4 strokes and not two-stroke machines so the FAN can't feel close as I doubt even the fortune souls in Europe that can even buy a two stroke could afford a 500cc version, if made!!

It will be interesting to see if Yamaha does well

in the AMA SuperBike series and sales increase, to compare them to sales of Yamaha sportbikes in the WSC racing countries. Think about it Yamaha!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If an R7 is a piece of ****, then obviously you are a rider of more talent than is deserving of this thread........NOT!

Save your useless moronic comments for a more useful purpose......talking to yourself when you''re on the can.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: 4 cylinders, World SuperBike, Haga.....

Tell me this: were the rules clear about that particular drug being illegal? If so, cry all you want about how it doesn't enhance performance. It's a banned substance, that was known by anybody who cared to look it up. Case closed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kevin Cameron has a great article in the November issue of Cycle World titled GP Four Strokes. Anyone who is interested in the WSB vs GP thing would find it very interesting. He covers things such as horsepower, budgets, tires, WSB among others

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yeah, but wait till next year, Rossi will take it in two, just like he did in every other class he has raced in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not Quite.....

Actually it has done well in the British Superbike series . It would probably do better in the US series if Yamaha had Mladin or the other Hayden. Take into consideration the rather lopsided Twin handicap formula and you see why 4''s aren''t winning more races (everywhere), and it also gives you a good idea just how talented Mat Mladin really is. Should be interesting to see if Yamaha can get a full season of commitment out of Gobert, (Talk about potential for drug test problems!!) then we will see what the R7 really has to offer. Lets face it the guys they have had on the bike are nice enough, but hardly proven race winners at the top class level. my 2/100''s of a $.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well...

I''m not sure I agree, I ride better when I am calm and making smoother inputs to the bike, not when I am jolted by cafine or adreneline. If I''m overly excited I make more mistakes, and I can''t help but think it would be worse if I where able to ride at the speeds these guys are doing. I still think punishment in this case exceeded the crime. It was not banned, just limited in presence. If it is so awful why is any allowed?? It seems like a little different approach in the punishment would have served all parties better. I am sure all teams are aware of this potential problem and are monitoring it closer as a result of this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No. Absolutely no. Even changing to 4-stroke engines, GP bikes will be the most exotic, most expensive bikes, not roadbikes modified for racing. The R1 might be the bike for Yamaha at SUPERBIKE if the rules allow for 1000-cc 4cylinder bikes, not for GP racing

·
Registered
1 Posts
How big is yours?

I'm not interested in bragging about the number of horses my bike has because I'm happy about the size of my pen1s. Come on lads, that's what you're talking about:

Mine has 145

WEL MINE HAS 150!

You aren't even talking real world figures i.e. back wheel. You lads are talking about horse power from the crank. GROW UP! and get a life, and get out of second gear.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
RC-51

I agree also why doesn't Honda put the RC-51 into full production They sold every one of them last year. I don't understand why honda doesn't bump the numbers up to full and see how many they will sell. For Christ sake the only competition is the TL100R and there is no comparision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think motorcycle manufactures are killing the 750 class not the consumer. If they did make the race replicas more obtainable (like the Gixxer) I think the 750 class would live on. Look at the ZX7r for God sake that bike still sells and it is a relic ( a beutiful relic, but a relic). Even all the 1000cc V-twins that race in WSB sold very quickly. Maybe Yamaha will make enough money to suport WSB racing if they sold a YZF-R7 that is cheaper than 30,000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to see someone else browsing the older posts. R1's are not seen in superbike classes because of engine size. AMA and World Superbike consist of twin cylinder bikes up to 1000cc and in-line fours of 750cc (and possibly a triple with the introduction of Benelli's Tornado). To see the mighty R1 in action, try the AMA's Formula Extreme class or the not-televised-enough Canadian Superbike, both of which allow in-line fours such as the R1. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but isn't this rather obvious? When MotoGP opened up to four strokes, a lot of folks said that WSBK would be in trouble. It now appears that Yamaha, one of the first to produce a four stroke GP prototype, is also the first to abandon WSBK.

If it means that GP will drive street bike advances the way WSBK did, I'm all for it.

Just my opinion.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
The start of the END to World Superbike

I think BuzzBoxer is right. This signals the end of WSB cause with the rules change in MotoGP MotoGP will once again become the pinnacle of Motorcycle racing and development. Honestly I have to say that watching WSB is boring cause:

[*] A new Ducati Twin will win (Baylis)

[*] A Honda Twin will finish second (Edwards)

[*] A old Ducati Twin will finish third (Hodgson)

[*]An Aprilla Twin if it completes the race will get 4th (Haga)

[*] Other Ducati Twins will get the next spots followed by an antique Kawasaki

AMA superbike is slightly better with Bates, Bostrom, and Malidin. But when/if the rules change for AMA will it become a American MotoGP series i.e. will Honda field the V-5 etc. ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.