Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 100 of 146 Posts

· Registered
1,597 Posts
you know, people have been putting their names on lists and putting down deposits on all sorts of upscale, low-volume vehicles for as long as i can remember. I really don't see what the big deal is. Fewer unsold units is good for the manuf., the dealer, and for most customers. $12k for a bike that all the mags and websites routinely pick as way superior to things like BMW K1200 whatever that sell for 50% more?

If Honda did it, it would suck, cause then you would be waiting for a heavier, slower, not as comfortable motorcycle that was recalled i think 2x in its first year. that costs more.

· Registered
3,415 Posts
Just a guess, but the Japanese, for whatever reason are convinced all American riders want either a retro look V twin cruiser, or the latest cutting edge sportbike.

Their stated reason was that they weren't sure there was a demand for a bike of this type and they didn't want a repeat of the bad old '80's with unsold product and under list sales ( brought on by their cut throat war with Honda for market share and Reagans import tariff )

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Re: Second Choice

I was thinking Huyabusa, but your's was funnier.

Personally, if I had my druthers, I'd rather tour on a tour-buss, preferably the Greatful Dead,s (if they were still alive).

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Re: Let's give credit...

Yeah, like he said!

Us MOrons gotta right...???...too!

And, soon as if I figure what side it's on, I'm gonna use...it...mine...the damn thing!

· Registered
292 Posts
Did anybody point out that the FJR 1300 is an "off-the-shelf" bike in Europe? Not that long ago we were reading reviews of the European version of this bike replete with editorial whining that they don’t sell it over here. (You can see an example of this kind of "why can’t we get it here" whining at the "Unofficial U.S. Varadero Homepage" http://www.geocities.com/honda_varadero/Varapage.htm )

So Yamaha listens to the whiners in the Unites States and makes arrangements to sell them the bike they want without a huge factory or dealer commitment. The whiners get their bike, Yamaha and their dealers make a fair buck on a good bike, and nobody loses. Nobody, that is, except for the other whiners that wouldn’t buy the bike anyway.

Give the people what they want. What a concept!

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Harsh!

Hell, if I'd never got drunk, I wouldn't have had any embarrassing stories to tell my kids, so they wouldn’t drink (like they listened, anyway).

But, what I really what to know; what's a Nabob?

And, if I am one, do I have to worry about the CDC?

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Living in GA, I was not exactly plugged into Yammies snowmobile ordering system. Thx for the info.

I still think it is a wildly unfriendly sales policy, but point taken.

Hey, JB...one of my other hobbies (obsessions) is hi-fi. My fav writer is Mike Fremer (Stereophile & Ultimate Home Theater). He be a NY liberal. I'm a GA liberterian with a wide conservative streak. I still think he is a fine writer - and I trust his opinions on HI-FI and Home Theater...but NOT politics. Ditto for you - a real treasure for motorcycling.

As for the slickmeister and the dictator....what a lovely couple! I hear Andrew Sullivan is to be best man - in a leather dress!

And finally...local dealer is giving 1K buck markdown on the additional FJR orders....11, 687 out the door for a std.

Hmmmmm. Very interesting.

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
The only question is, when has ANY Yamaha motorcycle become an "upscale" vehicle? I could see buying a $100,000 car or built to spec vehicle doing this, but an FJR?? Please! I guess your definition of upscale is an Old Style and a pack of Camels.

· Registered
35 Posts
Superbill said: Did anybody point out that the FJR 1300 is an "off-the-shelf" bike in Europe?

>>>>

Yes I pointed this out and the real q is not what you said but rather why have the Europeans never been on the same program as USA buyers

According to Yamaha sales of the FJ have picked up 25% and still USA buyers are on the punitive wait delivery program

Its not whining at all to expect a dealer to have the bike in stock ....

· Registered
38 Posts
I looked on eBay and found no FJR1300's for sale currently and exactly one guy who failed to sell his almost new bike in Arizona for $12k (full list price) in the recent auction history. Since you can't import a vehicle to CA without 7500 miles, that wouldn't really work either...

A quick call to five LA and Orange County Yamaha dealers yields zero in stock, new or used, but plenty of invitations to get on the newly extended waiting list.

Not that I want one, since I just bought a bike, but if I was in the market for a big sport tourer, I'd be seriously thinking about whether or not to get on that list...

Regards,

Ross

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Once, again, Indo-China trembles!

That was sick, but this is fun!

I'm home with a messed up back, and this gives me something to do.

Hey, my grandmother was right, B!tching's Fun!

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Yeah, Clinton and Saddam met during a Circle-jerk at Yale. Dubbya was the pivot-man.

Ya want the DVD?

$25.00 plus S&H...Only $5.00 to reserve your copy...While supplies last!

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Golly, I didn't know that Saten was allowed to be the Devil's advocate.

Isn't that a conflict of interests?

Or, would it be a fool having himself as a lawyers.

The problem with being in marketing is, you start seeing people as a collection of psychological responses, rather than your fellow man.

I know...I've done it! And. most of the people that I know who do it, are alcoholics, children of alcoholics or someone who learned, at an early age, to manipulate people.

Probably, being in marketing, all you do is hand the ball to Ad-Shops where these people work. Lucky you...You won't have to shed your skin twice a year :)

· Registered
1,538 Posts
I think the Hayden Boys will be running it on their Kawasakis.

I dun seen sum pikturs of ZX-6RRs with works Ohlins suspensions on them, so I assume they will be run in the 'Formula Extreme" class.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.