Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is it with the ever more imaginative gadgets they are trying to get people to mount in (or on) their vehicles. You can count on me NOT buying one of these. The tachometer is enough distraction from the road. Know your route before you go. The same for cage-mounted GPS too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a Lowrance iwAY 500C on eBay for $500 and it has been very helpful. At first I was concerned about the distraction, but after a ride or two, that is not at all a problem. Of course I am a gadget freek; have Garmin GPS's in even my pickup.

As for the motorcycle, no need to stop, get out the map (who can remember 8 turns and that many road names over a 3 hours ride). Also, many times the GPS took me to some destination in my home county a different and much better route; of course the opposite is true also. In short, I don't leave home without one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I mounted a Garmin on my Futura when I rode from Chicago to San Francisco using only back roads. It was very helpful and much more convenient than a bag full of maps. Ducati has been selling a specially fitted unit for the Multistrada for more than 2 years now - and for a thousand bucks - which is overpriced, but not as ridiculous. The only news in there is the voice prompts in the helmet, but I bet that can get really annoyoing really fast.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bout time

Now all we need is heads up display in the visor helmets with GPS, text messaging, radar/laser detector, etc... I know others have done the GPS thing but when Yamaha does it. It's a big deal. Cool thanks MO for the news.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I only buy electronic gizmos after they've been out on the market many years or have gotten to under 100 bucks. I'd have a hard time paying for an electronic map though when you can buy entire computers with screen an all for under 500 bucks these days. I could ride my motorcycle a few years on 1800 worth of gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motorcyclists as a whole seem to be a frugal bunch.(I didnt want to use the phrase cheap bastards) Why would you spend $1800 when you can find one for a 1/3 of the cost at Costgo or Tigerdirect? What bike is Yammy going to put it on anyway?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: $1800???

I bet you can do more pushups and have a better MSF score too. Too bad you will never be a motorcycle rider. Can't buy that tag with a million bucks, or as many 'Freddie' schools that you can attend. Better go make sure the battery has charged, because you haven't ridden since the last time it died.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can appreciate modern features like anti-lock brakes and fuel injection. But it seems to me that this "feature" would destroy the romance of motorcycling. Why would I want a mechanical voice to tell me what to do?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.