Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
DON

was this put forth by the same publicity firm that touted the YZR-M1 as being "quicker and faster than the YZR-500" ??? we all know what a bunch of BS that was. i will bet my house right this very second that there is no friggin way that this thing puts out "more horsepower per cc" than the Kawasaki Ultra 150 or Yamaha GP1200 monsters. any takers? by the way, compare this thing to the direct injected models, and you can kiss quieter, more fuel efficient and less emissions goodbye

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let's see..."can reduce operating costs by $1000 OR MORE per year"...

My last SeaDoo, I never spent even 1000 per year in operating costs...

Does that mean that they PAY you to ride it???

I look forward to seeing this watercraft...but I must say, this article is propaganda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah !

Well, the Ultra 150 has 123.3 hp/liter, and the GP1200R has 131.8 hp/liter. *IF* the new FX140 has 140hp (hence the name) and is 998cc, like an R1, then it will have 140.3 hp/liter. So yeah, when I find the actual specs for the FX140, I'll take that bet !!!

As for the $1000 savings in operating costs, you would have to use it quite a bit to SPEND $1000 in costs. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: DON

Even if it put out 160HP the Ultra 150 would still kicks it's ass all over the place. That new Yammie is huge...it's a 3 seater. Until someone decides to screw the 2000 65 mph imposed "limit

", the 1999 Ultra 150 remains the fastest boat on the water. Period.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Nice, but Honda was first

I'm a little confused with the "claims"...Yamaha claims the FX140 is the "world's first" 4-stroke PWC, but Honda came out first.

Who has the "first" title? My guess is Honda because they introduced it first and to my knowledge, neither has a mass-produced 4-stroke PWC available at dealerships right now - The Honda will arrive at dealers roughly the same time as the FX140.

Who's "claim" wins?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not much into watercraft, so my ignorance may show. All that HP for the privelege of doing 50mph? I'll stick to bikes (and airplanes), thank you.

Yammy, pay attention- what we need is the AR-1 (Aircraft R1) engine. A reliable, modern, compact engine with a high HP/weight ratio is badly needed!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Nice, but Honda was first

Honda announced that they'd make a four-stroke watercraft before Yamaha did. But yamaha beat them to production with it. We still haven't seen or heard anything further about Honda's 4-Stroke boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're correct. Prop RPM is limited to around 2700 for aerodynamic reasons. Since the prop is usually attached directly to the crank, this limits engine RPM. The only way to make HP at low RPM is lotsa torque.

If the engine is geared, then high engine RPM/ lower torque works. Geared engines in aircraft have been problematic, but the latest 40s technology was used. Again, an application screaming for some new thinking and present-day technology.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Yamaha isn't in production yet.

The true "winner" can only claim their "prize" when their units arrive at the dealership for sale to the consumer. If Honda's units arrive at their dealerships first, they "win". Not that it really matters, except for corporate pride/bragging rights, and for propoganda like this article.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: sweet

Imagine someone saying this 10 years ago...

"In 2002, 'power cruisers' with huge air cooled v-twins invade the streets and jet skis with 150HP inline fours will be commonplace..."

Yeah right! But it's not far off reality eh?

And what about the next model? Perhaps a GP derived race motor in a jet ski?

Let's hope that nobody wants to put the huge air cooled v-twin in a jet ski :)

GP race motor in a Banshee? I can't see why not!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts