Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the same system on an R1 a few years ago. The report said that there was no problem with traction with about 20% of the power going to the front wheel. I don't think we will see any systems like this in production for several years at least. It needs to be tested extensively before any manufacturer could reliably use a hydraulic motor in a front wheel.

On a different note, you guys really should get rid of the 'talk some smack' and 'smack back' buttons. It was funny for the Biker Boyz article, but no more. Not every post here is to 'talk smack'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw the same stories about the R1 system a while back. Didn't seem to make sense on a street bike, the front tire is overworked in corners already and during straight line acceleration you get 100% weight transfer. Same might be said for a supercross bike, but for an enduro bike I think its great. Should come in useful in sandwashes and rockcrawling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Smack, smack smack smack smack smack smack. Smack-smack, smack smack smack smack......smack; smack smack.

Smack smack smack - "Smack smack smack, smack smack smack." (smack smack smack!) Smack smack smack & smack.

Smack smack? Smack!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Just because it doesn't make much sense for the street doesn't mean it won't sell. Look at all the track-biased Gixxers and Ducks you see on the street already.

Just look at all the AWD vehicles in SoCal.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You may not be trying to talk smack, but rest assured, no matter what you say, no matter how polite or well-reasoned somebody is going to violently disagree. It's just the nature of the internet and its anonymity.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
So, put a front wheel drive on a ZRX1200 and then you can luridly slide both wheels out when you crank on the gas in the corners.

Simultaneous two-wheel burnouts!

Cool.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You would be even cooler if you could wheelie on the FRONT wheel!!! And I'm not talkin' about a stoppie.

Actually there's a company that's been making 2WD bikes for a long time now, Rokon.

http://www.rokon.com/index.htm

The front wheel is driven via a chain which connects to some sort of bevel gear in the steering head which in turn is driven by a shaft that runs right through the middle of the gas tank.

I talked to an owner of one once and he said they can ride through practically anything. Looks sorta like one of those lawnmower-engined mini-bikes on steroids. Must be a blast to ride, though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
uhhhh, i think it has been tested extensively, its been tested teh last 4 years. I see it making its way into dirtbikes very soon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think you would find that the system would prevent front end tucks by reducing the load on the front tire. Tucks occur when the front has more sideways then inline tendencies, and this system would increase those inline tendencies which would by default reduce the sideways ones.

In other words the tire will want to track properly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
unless the front wheel was turning counter the back wheel , it would be impossibel to wheelie as any force as a result of the wheel would only put MORE weight on the back tire, which is already in contact with the ground

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
It seems the front end would be more inclined to wash out when you're cranked n banked because you'd be unloading the front wheel while you're still close to the limits of adhesion exiting corners, probably work on a goldy-wang or other touring bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.