Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Those carbon brakes are lust worthy. Thing is, most people wouldn't even recognize them if they saw 'em. The average Joe likes the shiny bits (chromed rotors) better.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The even sell the carbon rotors for the street, nowadays.
How much do those run? My brother is a master Mercedes mechanic and several of the Mercs have carbon brakes. He was telling me that a brake job (new pads only) can run about $5K. To quote Shaggy, "Zoiks!"

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
That's got to be helpful. What would those street riders do without that extra 1/4 lb weight savings on the rotors?? LOL
It's a moot point anyway. The performance of carbon rotors is lost on 99.9% of the riders out there (yours truly included). Still, they are pretty cool.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
That's got to be helpful. What would those street riders do without that extra 1/4 lb weight savings on the rotors?? LOL
Gotta love trick components. Some clown locally bought a fancy set of wheels for his speed triple for about $800. So he takes them to Wright's for mounting and they quote him $50 per wheel. He decides to "save money" and do them himself. He returns a couple of hours later with the tires still not mounted but with ugly tool marks all over his $800 rims. LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the same thing when a custom chopper rides by with a rediculous rake. For a sportbike to have this type of setup on the street is the same thing it's just bling. Unless of course it pulls track duties as well.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
It's the same thing when a custom chopper rides by with a rediculous rake. For a sportbike to have this type of setup on the street is the same thing it's just bling. Unless of course it pulls track duties as well.
I really don't see a need for it on a trackday "fun bike", either. But hey! - I'm not gonna tell someone how to spend their money! I just dropped some coin on 8 Hoosier A6 285/30-18 race tires that won't last the summer..........

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
If he's close to the track record I'd say he's getting the use out of them.
And what if the track record was set on some clapped-out old Gixxer with iron rotors and a chain so tired it made "clacketa-clacketa" noises as it went past?

Still think he's gettin' the use out of them?

As I was sayin' - a FOR FUN trackday bike that's not being actually "raced" - carbon/carbon brakes are a waste of money. BUT, how a man spends his money is his own bidness. I just gave an example of my own wasteful-spending to illustrate my point.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh totally agreed. I highly doubt any clapped out gixer will hold a track record though. And don't get me wrong Iv seen alot of beat up bikes that are crazy fast, just made me realise how much i must learn.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
A-ha!! Finally admitting you're see things the way Klazy Ken does, huh?
You caught me! OK, ok....... I'll sell everything I own (including kidneys and liver) and give the proceeds to the DNC........

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a taste of bling, if I had no budget and could build a show bike it would wear these brakes, then Id take it to the track. That way it could be a show bike that actually did something besides just sit there at the burger barn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.