Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
One syllable: VALK.

You sound like someone looking to buy a Valkyrie. I've heard those things can even wheelie if you set your mind to it. Go take a test ride--with the VTX around the Valk may not last much longer.

Or are you one of the types who wants a bike that handles like an Aprilia RS125, has the luggage capacity of a Goldwing, acceleration of a Hayabusa, fuel mileage of a Rebel 250, and seating accomodations of a Road King? You know, accepting some trade-offs is part of choosing a motorcycle. Motorcycle designers are NOT magicians--they have limits.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: 919 over S4? People still read tank badges.

Screw the 'mystique' of a Ducati when you can have a dope streetfighter for a lot less. Man, I'm glad they're bringing the 919 to the US. Wheeww... Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re:Year 2002 flopppp!

Is it me or are a LOT of the bikes to be released for 2002 ugly,futuristic, fasion statements??? Honda seems to be the main event for 2002 however, it is the ST1300 that is the only major change other than the CBR. Most will argue that the VFR has had major updates...and it has, techically. The VFR did not loose a significant amount of weight and it gained only a few ponies. The ST 1300 gets a new aluminum frame and engine however..at 30 yrs old I for one am not ready for the station wagon of motorcycles.

The only bikes that will come out of 2002 that look tasteful are the new R1 and the Kawasaki ZZR1200. I don't see the new design standards (Triangles and bubbles) lasting for long. As a rider of the Kawasaki ZRX, I tend to appreciate a motorcyle that looks like a motorcycle...not a motorcycle that looks like a scooter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
150 HP power cruiser !!! Cruisers SUCK !!! The only squids that you will surprise are those that want to play on a straight road. Will you be taking that big bad POWER CRUISER to some local track days, where you could enjoy being spanked by the

"squids" on their little $ 5000 sv 650's. I think not !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mixed Feelings

At first glance at the new Honda lineup I was pretty excited but the high wore off quickly. I, like most people, was hoping for either a V-twin brawler that would compete with the 900 Monsters or something small and quick like the SV650. Honda is moving more towards the high-dollar-techno end rather than making bikes for the masses. Damn, I really wanted to like Honda but more and more Suzuki is looking like the dealer I want to shop at.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Overall, quite an impressive lineup. I especially would like to thank Honda for the ST1300; for having the stones to bring it to the USA. Yamaha is dancing to a different beat with their FJR1300 only available to the europeans (for the second year now). I don't think I'd refer to it as a "station wagon of motorcycles", as another responder cited, but then I'm 50 and am not supposed to enjoy spirited rides, right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
What Honda could make that would get me off my XX

A 1.5 liter counterbalanced transverse four making 220+ rear wheel horsepower in a package that weighs 350 pounds all up due to replacement of all metal in the bike with titanium.

I want a quantum increase in power, cornering ability, and refinement over my 97 birdie which is my favorite bike so far.

Actually I'm glad they're still in business. There's a banking crisis about to envelop Japan which may reduce our motorcycle purchase choices; I wish them the best. Ride Safe and Happy, Folks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Competition with SV650

SV650's are a hard sell at every suzuki dealer around, espcially the s model. both are sellng under $5000 mark. why would honda be interested? superhawks are a hard sell too, so are the XX's. i've seen B12's for under $6000 too, and FZ1's for $7500. every dealer i've talked to said naked bike are way too hard to sell, americans want supersports or cruisers, and not much in between. even zx-9r's (too comfortable for many an ego) are going for $7599... meanwhile gsxr's and R6's are flying out the door.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Competition with SV650

It must be the difference in location. In Boulder (my summer home), CO (120,000 people; 30,000 college students) dealers can't keep SVs on the sales floor. The SV and the F4i are the two best-selling models this year in Boulder.

On the other hand, in the Boston area (my school year home), the students still buy a lot of SVs and F4s, but the rest of the city just buys Harleys.

I suspect that in cities without large college student populations, SVs don't sell well at at all.

Where are you located? I was looking to buy an SV next spring, and I would LOVE to pay $4999 instead of $5799.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: I'm impressed

Yes, the 919 Hornet has got some definite possibilities, especially at only 427 pounds. It should make a great wheeliemeister. Hopefully Honda did their homework and nailed the FI and handling.

Am I to understand that it will only be available in flat black in the US? Yuck! I better dust off that spray gun...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: Silverwing

They made a Silverwing 650 transverse twin in 1983 not sure about any other year models in 650 but I have a 1983 in my garage of my brothers. I fire it up every once in a while and ride it when I feel like an old man. Its a nice bike, just alittle buzzy at faster speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am very impressed. My dealer just got back from getting all info and the stuff is great. I think Hondas new models are awesome vs the HD (significant but only 1 model), Yamaha (new R1...come on) and Kawasaki (ho hum)...Honda: Turbo PWC, VTEC VFR, ST1300, 954, 919, a huge scooter (600?)...2 new VTX (I think one was a 1300cc)....plus the dealer had pictures and specs on a new 650 ATV, 2 new dirt bikes and more. I'm going to put money down on a 919...very cool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
919 RWHP

The one statistic that I am dying to hear is what kind of power the 919 pumps out. I understand re-tuned but it still should be close to triple digit horsies. It is the bike I want to replace my magna. Magna is cool but handling and brakes leave a lot to be desired. Plus I am tired of polishing chrome, I want to ride!

Anybody know how much power Honda is claiming for the 919 including torque numbers?

David

·
Registered
94 Posts
The 919 looks great... what's with the trend toward flat black paint, though? Does anyone have a bike with this finish (Ducati or Moto Guzzi come to mind)?

My gut reaction is that I don't think this finish will age well and that it looks a bit unfinished. On the other hand, who gives a flying fig, I'd still take a Monster or 919 in any color. At least with this starting point I won't feel bad about having a new bike re-painted.

21 - 40 of 192 Posts