Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok, to put the cat amongst the pigeons, you say it's a terrific all-round machine. How about comparing it not to the Hayabusa but to that other terrific all-round machine , the VFR 800. The ZX12r is lighter (according to the table printed), the same money (especially in real, how much you would pay a dealer money), and is aiming at the same sort of market if you would believe Kawasaki's PR. Oh, it also makes about 70 more hp. I will seriously be in the market for a new bike at the end of the year and I want to know! I know magazines like Motorcyclist would never do this type of comparo, not with their editor having worked for Honda etc so this would be a good opportunity for you to show that you are different from the paper rags, you do not cater to the lowest common denominator and that you are the most credible source of information out there. How about it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Year 2002 zx12r, Compared to a VFR

I own both a 2000 VFR and a 2000 zx12r. I was intrigued to see how they would compare in handling and sport-touring capabilities.

Even though they weight about the same and have the same wheelbase the handling is remarkably different, the VFR handles much better. Weight distribution plays a large role in how a bike handles, and the zx12r is lacking in the serious cornering department.

But I guess the question is which one do I ride the most. The ZX12r gets more ride time here in the Florida straights, we have very few decent roads in our state, and sometimes we ride for 2 hours just to get to them, so on the interstate (yuch) the 12 is as stable as a rock when passing semi's, and makes quick work of a 100 mile run. The VFR however is a much better choice for places like Deals Gap, is easier to ride, and sticks to the road like glue.

Here is one biker hoping that the 2002 zx12r closes the gap on the monster HP vs. the finely tuned corner carving do all machine we would like to keep in our garages. That would make one less bike payment for me, and one less aggrivated wife....

Ah, what the hell, I still say every man should have at least two bikes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's fascinating to me how Kawa can make a big bike with that much torque and hosepower so rewarding in so many ways: Linear power curve, Instant response from low speeds in 6th gear!, Capable of superior top end speed, Comfortable enough for all day riding. Kawa, you definitely have got your [email protected]# in order.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Good deal. I've ridden the 2000 ZX12r and the one thing I noticed about it (apart from its terrible seat) was that you sat up very high on it, it felt like a long way down when you heeled it over for a sharp corner. But maybe the handling gap has changed with the 2002?

Oh, and I already have 2 bikes, I need a 3rd!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Re: Year 2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R colors

I have been all over Kawi's home page and there is no indication of blue coming to the US. Just red and black/gold. Is this first ride from an international press introduction or did you guys wrangle a Canadian test bike?. How can I get one in blue?

·
Registered
64 Posts

Anyone in the market for a vintage'92 ZX-11?

I was thinking about the ZZR-12 but when I saw the Blue/Gold ZX-12 at the Motorcycle show and the ZZR's middling fit and finish and weird hind quarter my head snapped back to the ZX.

Now you tell me that my old tired ass can sit on this beauty all day! Get me down to my local Kawasaki store post haste!

I have a SV650s for those times I want to scare the s**t out of myself in the twisties, and pain killers for my back the day after, but my ZX-11 is getting long in the tooth.

·
Registered
350 Posts

A good question there, P-Ratt. We were kind of wondering why the blue wasn't listed on Kawasaki's own web site. Of course, we could have been good journalists and called them up to ask, but that that would break tradition. So the phone remained on the hook.

However, now that you've prodded us as such, we'll be on the horn to Kawi tomorrow morning and report back to you with our findings.

And, since you mentioned it (even if you didn't, I'll still tell you), the blue looks even better in person than it does in any of the photos. Even the blue rims are nice and not nearly as tacky as the words "blue rims" might indicate.

Minime

·
Registered
14 Posts

Why you're at it, ask them if their European models are the same mechanically as those sold in the US. I can get a European model in Japan, but not the US model - too expensive for the local market due to all the safety stuff. I simply love this bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
DAMNED BY FAINT PRAISE!!

I am afraid that the riding impressions write up reveals very much the preference and bias for race track oriented sportbikes, even though no direct comparisons are made. They say its not a Laguna Seca sort of bike, but the writeup certainly reads like they judge it by those standards. There is little aknowledgement of its superb versatility and street usability, its EXCELLENT suitability for tall riders. I question the credibility of an evaluation that so obviously favors the personal preferences of the reporter. Objective it was not.

and another thing: "for all intents and purposes still born"? how do you define still born? didn't sell or didn't get media acclaim? I'd say it was still born only in that it didn't make legions of sportriders lust for it. But that is hardly the measure of success. I don't know the sales numbers, but unless they are dismal for its class (which includes the Busa and the Blackbird), I refute the "stillborn" assessment.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: DAMNED BY FAINT PRAISE!!

It's true that those 3 bikes have never sold too many units in comparison to the liter size or especially the 600cc sportbikes. Now that all of those liter bikes (except the Kawi) are over $10K, these true open class motorcycles are more attractive in price. Hell, you can't get a new 600 for less than $8000 out the door nowadays. Why not spend an extra$40 a month or whatever to get the bike of your dreams if you want? I think the sales numbers should go up in the future for this class of bike. Oh wait, I forgot about the largest legal scam in America, Insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts

You make a good point! Can anyone out there give a realistic ballpark figure for what insurance runs on these kinds of bikes. I checked Progressive online and not sure I believe the quote... close to $4000 o year!?!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Gotta agree that insurance has a large part in sales figures. Most of the young guys here would love to have 900 to 1200 cc bikes but their insurance company won't even quote a bike that big. 600 is a large as they can get and still get insured, which is mandatory in Illinois. The only thing bigger than the insurance scam, is lawmakers shoving the scam up yer arse sideways with gravel as the lubricant!

·
Registered
143 Posts

What I love even more about insurance is the ignorance of some companies. I ride a Buell M2, but I also looked hard at several other bikes and checked out insurance rates. My insurer bases its rates almost entirely on engine displacement. So I payed more insurance on my 1450cc Electra Glide than I do my new Buell. I would have paid significantly less for the ZR-7s I looked at, less for the Duc ST-2, and a great deal less for the last-year's VFR 800 I would have bought if it had touched me on an emotional level at all. Point being, my insurance company doesn't consider the type of motorcycle in the least, though brand may play a small role in comprehensive (not, it seems, liability).

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts

My insurance company lists various rates by age and length of riding experience. The rates are much lower for riders over 35. My insurance for my GSX1100 runs about $150 (liability only) per year. A 19 year old's insurance for the same bike runs $7,000!!

The rates go down by age, but a 25 year old still has to pay around $1500 per year.

Search out quotes on the internet. Progressive quotes me over $1500 per year for my truck while I'm currently paying about $600 with Farmers. Farmers doesn't insure bikes. But that's just an example of the diaprity in rates.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts

It could be that the HD rates are high simply because of the high rate of theft of Harleys. My insurance company lists Harleys as high risk along with sportbikes. Other bikes get better rates.

That's one reason I quit riding Harleys. I got tired of being chained to a motorcyle. Can't just drive it somewhere and park it. Always worried about someone stealing it. Not worth the trouble to me.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Yeah, I use USAA and they say the base rates only on displacement, so my R6 is cheaper than say, a sv650. THe plastic on the R6 is much more expensive to replace, so this shows you that some companies charge way to much and insurance is a scam.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts