Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
The peak power number is impressive enough, but what really surprises me is the nearly flat torque curve. Top-speed numbers aside, if the rest of the bike is right this will be the all-day warp-drive sport-tourer of the era. Very impressive, and I can't wait to see the test, provided there's no speed-limiting goofiness going on in the black boxes. (Academic, maybe, but true.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have no idea what Kawasucki uses, but I would imagine if they are like the rest of the world, they are using some sort of exhaust valve to combat fuel injection. Basically most of the manufacturers running FI have some sort of valve in the exhaust to allow the fuel injection mapping to work well at low and high revs. This blip is most likely the result.

Again, I don't follow Kawasaki, but someone will confirm or deny this I'm sure.

Rob Nance

Austin, TX

·
Registered
356 Posts
rob......they use the exhaust valves with carbureuted bikes too.....look at the R1 (pre '02)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
regarding that blip at around 8k , I read that the new interceptor with vtec generates more power on two valves untill 7k or so then opens up to 4 valves above that so maybe theres some kind of flow dynamics with the 4 valve kawi at that rpm. exhaust power valves are supposed to regulate flows too so maybe that opens fully at that point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The ZX12R rules the fast lane! A friend of mine is in the process of breaking in his new zx12r, and is happier than is legally allowed in most states.

I love my old 2000 zx12r, but the 2002 is a much better looking machine for sure.

I think Kawi has found a winner in the 2002 zx12r.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There's any number of things that contribute to (or detract from) the consistent production of torque in an internal-combustion motor, and the presence of some sort of exhaust resonance is only one of them. You've got intake resonances and airbox effects, intake restrictions, cam timing, ignition timing, backpressure, flywheel effect...a few years' worth of physics classes all competing and boosting each other. (For the downside of this, try to find a copy of the current "Bike" magazine, and the parts about the old ZXR750's severe power problems around 6000 rpm.) A mild hump like that is probably due to a slightly better-than-average confluence of a few of these, but it's probably going to be unnoticeable, and it's still significant that on the whole torque output is so smooth, giving away nothing at either end of the rev scale and avoiding sags or holes in output.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've got an '00 12. hated how the mags trashed it. Rode my bike, rode busas belonging to friends, and found most of what the mags were saying to be trash.

I wonder if the bike will get an even break this time around........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts