Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
They look like a Ford Focus. Ugly. Too bad, I'm glad I got the viffer I did, more torque (so much for VTEC), and more hp (no catalytic converter on the 99 model, and aftermarket intake/exhaust components, PLUS it weighs less). I wonder if it's still considered a real VFR with out the gear driven cams. I was sad to see those go. Wierd exhaust too, better to get a wolf underseat if you want a nice underseat exhaust.

My verdict: A step backwards in VFR development, with the exception of the brakes (better LBS), the bags, and the front fork suspension. Everything else was a big disappointment for me.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is no RAM air on a VFR. If the selling point was a video, I'd do some more research. Not that a viffer isn't a good buy, but ware the first generation anything. Even a Honda.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
237 Posts
More displacement please!

Starving,

I for one would like more displacement from the VFR, and I have a couple of reasons why. I don't like small bikes, and I don't like the current liter bikes out there either, I'm 6' 4'' and 260 lbs. I feel like I'm riding a little kid's bike when I ride a SV 650, an R6, or even a 929 (haven't ridden others you mentioned). They're like little toys! My CR 500 demands more respect from me than those "girls bikes" do!

I'm too cramped on all of the bikes you mentioned to ride any real distance (which I occasionally enjoy, hence the sport-tour ride of choice for me), and I'm not going to be riding a goldwing or a cruiser any time in the near future (can't afford and don't want a beemer, maybe sour grapes, not sure why).

I would _love_ a FJR 1300, but they haven't brought it stateside. The only thing that would keep me from buying one as soon as they hit US soil would be a 1000cc VFR. I'd love to hear the V-4 song with bigger pipes too.

So really, does my VFR need a bigger engine? No, it's just fine, but I'd like a bigger engine, and if they could keep the weight down (no reason they shouldn't) it would be a perfect bike for me.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
237 Posts
Regarding a Vfour mass

I will say this, I replaced the spark plugs on my VFR recently, and I could not believe how far down in the motor they were! There was at least 8 inches of metal motor-stuff ABOVE the spark plugs! What the hell do they have up there? Is it some kind of unlisted hard luggage I've neglected to use? WOW. Anyway, That probably has a lot to do with the weight of the motor, from what I can tell. Forget using one of those tire pumps that you screw into a spark plug hole too. It was too hard to get to the plugs for a roadside fix. Guess I'll have to buy a CO2 tire kit.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wonder how much of the "feels" faster is the sound of the engine with only 2 valves running while under 7000. I would like to hear the sound, but I'm not guaranteeing I would like it.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can pull from Viffer any time...

Until it comes time to gas up. I almost bought a VTR, but the range is what turned me off.

luvmyvfr

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Ugly Tech-Is it a sportsbike? from xsquirrelykid

So... You had to adjust the valves every 16,000 miles on a bike you "racked up 9000 miles on"?

The newer VFR's (98-01) never EVER have to get the valves adjusted. A big selling point for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts