Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
#@*(&(*#@&(*$*)#@!!!

HOLY @#$(-ing )(*[email protected] God(*&U# BATMAN. I remember the R1 making around 130 Horses and 70 lbs/ft of torque. Damn, when will it end. That's only 5 or less behind the Suzuki and it has the best FI? I bet the Suzuki runs a slower lap time in the comparo. I gotta get me one of these. Too bad it won't be until Spring 2003

·
Registered
69 Posts
Surprising

I'm surprised Yamaha didn't bump this number more. To a large degree, big dyno numbers sell liter class bikes. This number is less than you can get out of a '98 R1 with a good exhaust system. It's a good trend though, focusing on handling and other issues over brute power. It's going to be nice to see the big GSX-R lose shootouts this year to bikes with less power.

And if you buy a new R1 and still need more, you can always change the exhaust and the sprockets...

·
Registered
46 Posts
A few points.

First, you guys also had a brand new Bandit 1200S at 108 HP. I think your dyno runs a little high.

Next, how can you dyno test it with 280 miles on the engine? That's far under the break-in. Doesn't that lead to lower-than-normal numbers? Doesn't wringing the thing out to redline in several gears before the first oil change run the risk of problems?

Next, I had heard that the new R1 was *less* prone to wheelies than the last one. Something about the front fork travel, the frame/swingarm geometry, and the power delivery. But now you're saying it's even worse?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Time to see if HTML works here

Next, how can you dyno test it with 280 miles on the engine? That's far under the break-in. Doesn't that lead to lower-than-normal numbers? Doesn't wringing the thing out to redline in several gears before the first oil change run the risk of problems?

That's probably why it's giving up better numbers. Yamaha's probably already given it the old racing break in of flogging the motor for a little while before giving them out to the press. Have you ever noticed that test bikes from the bike shop always seem to put out more power than the ones you buy? Flog a bike young and she'll put out more power. She'll also go off quicker as well though.

Next, I had heard that the new R1 was *less* prone to wheelies than the last one. Something about the front fork travel, the frame/swingarm geometry, and the power delivery. But now you're saying it's even worse?

I think you mean better, not worse. ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
nepenthe....i think yamaha probably broke it in for them....that is usually the case on press bikes it seems. could be why the bandit read high, too. usually i see a stock bandit at 95-98 hp, so i dont know. either a giving dyno or very good luck with bikes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Next time you can try out the Preview feature. ;o)

Maybe you're right about the break-in. I don't know by now There's so much conflicting info. On the ZX-12R, I've heard treating it gently for 2000 miles can pay huge horsepower dividends. I dunno...

On wheelies: well, I've never ridden one of these newer hyperbikes. I have an '84 FJ1100. But I'm in the market. Wheelies look fun and all, but also annoying when you try to harnass that power and turn it into forward momentum and all you get is the front going skyward. Anyway, one of the sites had listed the idea that the new bike is less wheelie-prone as a plus. *shrug*

·
Registered
46 Posts
This may be true. It also raises the question, "what else did Yamaha do to the bike before they gave it to the motopress?"

But even as 'press bikes' go, the Bandit MO tested was up 6-7 HP from what the US mags got.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Damn that preview button! I'm a risk taker! :p

I guess the results of how you run a bike in might have something to do with the model. A couple of years ago, we bought two new DR350's. They seemed eactly the same for a start. On one of them, I ran it in properly, doing everything by the book. The other I flogged like a horny teenager from the start. The one I took it easy with had heaps of grunt in the mid-range but just wouldn't rev very well. The one I flogged was a bit weaker in the midrange, but flew at the top end. It was an amazing difference.

Actually, I'm with you on wheelies. I've got a mate with a GSXR1000 and all he'll do is wheelies. I personally think they're pretty useless.

Perhaps with this bike it's less prone to the not-wanted variety, but with the excellent throttle response, they might be a nice thing to pull wheelies on when you want to do them.

Or else Burns is letting his over active imagination get the better of him. :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree, what counts is if the bikes are dynoed on the same machine at the same time to minimize any atmospheric fluctuations. I know it's a pain in the a$$ MO, but it would be nice if you dynoed all the bikes together when you do the liter bike comparo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Questions......

Two questions, basically.

1. Why do the american R1s have bigger indicators than the european ones?

and

2. What is the difference between torque and power? Now don't gimme that "torque is the property of the engine to turn the crankshaft...etc" crap 'cause I arready know that. What I want to know is that when you're riding, how do you know that right now it's the torque working and now the power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What happened to the 954 used for a previous comarison?!?

Hey MO, what happened to the 954 that was used for the comparo between it and the '01 R1? Couldn't it be used for the Superbike comparo?

My buying decision is stuck between the new R1 and the 954 (but leaning toward the new R1), and I cant' wait for a head-to-head comparison of the two. I'd hate to have to wait for some once-a-month print mag to do the comparo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Questions......

1. Who knows? Maybe Yamaha thinks that americans have worse eyesight than europeans. Maybe a federal law has a minimium size for indicators; we all know how uncle sam likes to interfere with seemingly pointless areas of our lives.

2. Torque is basically what gets the bike moving, the low-end grunt. Once it's moving, horsepower keeps the bike moving and accelerating. Notice how two-stroke engines (low torque, big HP) don't seem to make much power at low RPM but have screaming power at high RPM where you rev them to in order to get going, and diesel engines (masses of torque, low HP) seem to have mass power at just off-idle RMP but fall flat on their faces at RPMs that seem ridiculously low, explaining their short redline. Torque and horsepower are a function of each other; given one, you can calculate the other with a set equation. This is why the torque and HP curves will always cross at 5252 RPM, on any dyno chart you look at.

So basically, at any RPM below 5252 the torque is working and at any RPM above 5252 the power (HP) is working.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Check it out

That's kind of a weird way to put it, but's it's pretty much right. Yes, torque is a function of power, but you don't see one before/without the other. You have some engines that don't even rev up to 5000 rpm, but they will have 300lbs/ft of torque and only 175 HP. The torque is the turning motion of the pistons/crank etc, or the force of the piston, and the rpm comes into play and at the end you have an amount of work the engine is doing, which is horsepower. You can't have one without the other. HP is just the end product, so you can have an engine that revs to the moon with little torque, but it does as much work at a certain (high) rpm as an engine with low rpm and high torque.

Just imagine a tiny tire turning really fast and covering the same distance as a big tire turning really slow and you have some sort of an analogy. See, it takes less force to turn that little tire once, where as it's hard to turn the big tire once. But, to make the little tire cover a mile, you have to turn it a million times where the big tire you only have to turn it 100,000 times, but in the end you do the same amount of work.

I guess I didn't make it any better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.