Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bike looks too futuristic. I hate the styling. Loved the old R1 look though. Obviously, no liter bike needs more power, but whether or not we want to admit it, it's a great braggin rights to have the big boy on the block. I agree that it's not everything, but it helps. Still the heaviest liter bike, not counting the ZX-9R. I'm sure that it handles like a dream seeing how Yamaha put most of their focus in the chassis. My money is on the new CBR954 for this year. Overall best bike, that is. The Gixxer is probably the HP king still.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Get rid of the passenger seat?

Those girls are pretty freakin' stupid if they'll make an interstate trip just to fall off the back of a bike. I could give them the same thrill by making them stand tip-toe on top of a fencepost and then walloping them in the gut with a sandbag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the the new R1 except for its colour scheme's. They should be solid colours. For example they should be like the artist impression on the motorcyclenews.com website. less stickers and a solid colour and you have a seller.

I know to me power aint everything as I hardly get past redline in 2nd or 3rd gear on my R6 anyway. Seriously how much more power do you really need? I think it only counts in the lower to mid range which hopefully should be rectified with the new R1's Fuel Injection.

Anyway I give it a 8 out of 10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: 2002 r1 r1 r1.

finally a cool scheme from yamaha. the previous colors were boring. i commend yamaha for making a bold,dramatic move to change the colors and black out the rest of the bike. i wish suzuki would black out the frame too. finally bikes are looking cool again, not just a RACE REPLICA, more like street bikes!!!! black is cool.

ps. the cut fairing is original so i cant knock it, its progree folks to go against the grain of convention, especially if it is functional. yamaha made the right decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yamaha made the right choice. back to street bike styling compared to the worn out boring colors like before. cool black out of frame which suzuki should follow. bring graphics back to 1992-1995 days where they look like street bikes. nice move on the cut fairing which is innovative. progress is good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: All New Yamaha R1

"Anymore comments on my

unimportant, irrelevant opinion?"

Actually, I thought you made some pretty thoughtful comments about the styling. And you did it without being a pud and denigrating other folks' opinions.

·
Registered
14 Posts

MO, in 1997: "There are those who would scoff at such outrageous power levels. These nay-sayers would contend that no one needs 135 bhp bikes, that 177 mph is far too high a speed for a streetbike."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeez, everybody seems so interested in the colors - you either like it or you don't. Yamaha claims it to handle like a 600 with a 1000cc motor. Well, the old one sure didn't. Any of the 600s stomp it in the twisties. Have they truly improver the handling?

·
Registered
45 Posts

Sometimes the pictures don't do bikes any justice, and this may be the case with the new R1. It is not as radical as I hoped it would be (technically) but it seems nice. I made the last R1 picture my wallpaper (blue and white with rider aboard) and I like it. I agree the 2000-2001 R1 looks better (for the time being at least) but a couple of months from now, we may like it better. As for the ZX7R, I hear you. But looking at Kawasaki's new models (as nice as they are) I doubt they will do anything new. Why they didn't back the new spec sheet with new styling I'll never know.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I like the new R1, but,,, I think they should have given it more power, Maybe not for the street but it does need it on the track. I race up here in washington and oregan. WMRRA,OMRRA. The two fastest guys up here are J. Dugan on a gixxer 1000 And mike sullivan on a R1. The are both former #1 plate holders, Dugan in 2000. Anyway when they race in the open supersport. The gixxer 1000 will pull about 5-6 bike lenghts every straight, and at the end of a 11 lap race it will have half the straight on the R1. Which means the club racers are going to be buying suzuki In the open class just like they do in the 600 and 750 class. Can you say Domination

·
Registered
4 Posts

I agree, you only need in on the track, But the club racer's will be buying the susuki 1000 I race a gixxer 750 in wmrra but would never have it for a street bike I have a zedx9 for the street. But a lot of people buy bike's they see winning on the tracks arround the country

·
Registered
16 Posts
i kinda like it.

from an aesthetic standpoint, i think it's okay. tough to tell about the bodywork until you see it in person. but i like the grey/silver scheme. i'm not a big fan of the splashy, boy racer multi-color look found on so many other bikes. (of course, i'm 44, not 18!)

as far as performance is concerned, i appreciate yamaha's approach - whether deliberate or not.

i don't race and i don't ride at the absolute limit on the street. (even if i did ride at MY limit, it would be well short of an R1's limit!) so, more horsepower would be great for bragging rights, but not much use to me elsewhere.

however, making the power delivery more linear/manageable/useable is a good thing for me.

and making the bike feel lighter, respond better, and stick better to the irregular, non-track-like surfaces i find myself on is also a good thing.

if i owned last year's r1, this is where i'd spend my own money tweaking it.

when i come back from a ride, i check to see how much of the edge of my tires i've worn out. not the middle.

nice to be able focus on stuff like this again, isn't it? even if only for a few minutes.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts