Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
CR450F... it will be mine, oh yes... it will be mine...

OK, Somebody please back me up on this one. The bike I have wet dreams about at night: 2003 CR450F, 17 inchers with Metzy rennsports, loud ass pipe, little bitty headlight, flush-mount signals, and a license plate. I emplore anyone to tell me what could possibly be more fun in town?

OK, so this is just my own little dream bike, but ya gotta admit, don't this sound neat? And hey, this kinda thing ain't hard to do at all, and it won't cost hardly anything. Too bad I have no money.

·
Registered
720 Posts
GET PROFOUNDLY MOTARDED

I've been taking Mr. Allcaps with me to the Stockton Motorplex with Rocket Ranch racing and cruising the go-kart track with our Derbi 50cc motards- fun, fun, fun!!!

Check us out at www.rocket-ranch.com!

Gabe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: CR450F... it will be mine, oh yes... it will be mine...

You've been heard! The Yamaha WR450F would be probably be the better choice. Although a bit heavier it already has the headlight, plus a wide ratio transmission for higher top speeds. It also has electric start. A Baja Conversions' Dual Sport kit is only a phone call away, too, to make it street legal-enough. Would be a sweet canyon/hooligan bike. Having White Brothers lower the suspension would make its' pavement manners quite nice. (I think there's a story for MO in there someplace, hint hint -- JB are you listening??? Hell, you could put Sean's big ass on the thing and then race the new AMA MOtard series....)

As for you having no money, in the immortal words of Ted Knight, "The world needs ditch diggers, too."

-The People

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like it

Perfect for heading over to Gold's on or the grocery store. Every trip an adventure in fun. I'll bet the mpg's are real high too. Looks like the type of bike that beginners could learn on at learn to love motorcycling taboot.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I was thinkin of startin with a Suzuki DRZ400S (I think that is the street-legal version) with the 17s etc. Shouldn't be too hard to swap back to the dirt wheels/tires for off road use as well. That saves the fight with the DMV over trying to slip the Baja conversion through. (obviously, how hard that is depends on what state you live in)

·
Registered
71 Posts

Get on www.thumpertalk.com and check them out. There's a bunch of guys who have already done this to their CRF's, DR's, DRZ's, WR's, and KTM's. One guy here in Colorado has had issues grinding the pegs off his YZ he's leaned over so far.

They are badass and many times the guys include mpeg shorts of them tearing it up. It's wild.

·
Registered
217 Posts

I agree with everything except the bike. What about a KTM525. I would chose that bike just for the horses, but it can also have electric start. Has anyone heard about KTM building a 950 v-twin that leans towards a dirtbike seating position. I read something about it on Motorcycledaily a while ago. Now that would make me think about a second streetbike. It would pretty much be like an update to the orginal Buell S1 lightining, but with a good motor.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Keep your nose to the grindstone

Study hard, always make the extra effort, overacheive.

And when the government is done taking away 60% of your earnings, you still won't be able to afford it. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: How are they?

They rock! At $2599, they are the cheapest street-legal bike around. Not really an only bike, as it will just do 55-60 mph stock, and is pretty uncomfortable with stiff springs and high, hard seat, but with sticky tires, 320mm disc brakes (with steel lines) and a sophisticated liquid-cooled two-smoker motor, you can get pretty silly and have a blast riding around town.

Think of it as a very fun alternative to a scooter or as a very cheap racer/track bike (there are 100+ go-kart tracks in CA alone!). Why racers buy fruity Yamaha Vinos and Nathan Lane edition Metropolitans as pit bikes is beyond me when something like this is so much more fun!

Check out our website, www.sfmoto.com for more info...I'll post a review there soon, including a desctription of 80mph nuttiness with my 70cc hop-up kit!

·
Registered
22 Posts
None of the cool small displacement motorcycles make it to the US. I live in Russia and saw a moto mag with a picture of the new Honda XL230. Take a look:

http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/xl230/index.html

I would love one of those! What a great bike to fool around on in the city and on short trips to the store. And I'm sure it's dirt cheap.

And here's another one:

http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/vtr/

what a cool bike.

The problem is we will never get these motorcycles in the US. Instead, we get 10 year old katana 600s for "entry level" motorcycles.

(I give special thanks for this to consumers who call the 883 Sportster a small bike and the moto journalists who laud the new Kawasaki 636 as a really good 600.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, I was a Motard pioneer...

I put street tires and lowered shocks on my Suzuki 250 enduro way back in 1979. I was slipping and sliding all over the road in the rain riding to school everyday in Florida so Why not?? Gave me great road manners an was much easier to ride on pavement than Nobbies.

Via la Pioneers

·
Registered
409 Posts
buy an XR250, buy a lowering kit and 17 inch wheels. While your at it, upgrade the brakes.

now the tricky part, live in a state that is not completely anal about bike registrations (like just about everywhere but California)

viola, you have an XR250 Motard customized by yourself. Remember when buying a stocker and doing things to it was fun...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts