Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Dolomites? What about THE Dolemite?

I loves the bike I's got, I'm so glad it's mine!

I wanna ride them mountains, the curves are so fine!

Now then, where's my all girl army of Kung-Fu killers?

--The Fox

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Yossef And The Dolomites

"[R]ead on with us as we gaze enviously at Yossef's latest masterpiece."

Yup, that was a masterpiece. Thank you for an inspiring read.

Way to go, MO. You ladies and gentlemen have made an excellent start in the new year.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Great stuff! Its easy to envy Yossef, I'm lucky to have some very good roads here in Arizona, some good weather too, guess what? I'm going riding tomorrow! Lets see, VFR? SV650S? Oh well, decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yossef, thank you for reminding me of lost youth/batchelorhood. Twenty years or so ago I had many opportunities to ride on some of the roads you described. I was in the army and stationed in Augsburg, Germany, one of the best kept secrets in Bavaria. I spent many of my days off exploring the areas around Garmisch-Partenkirchen and northern Austria on my little Suzuki 550. I never got to ride in the Dolomites, but I became very familiar with some of the interesting roads in Southern Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland. Several years later, I did get to tour some of the roads in northern Italy, but unfortuanately it was in a Ford Club wagon van with a wife and seven kids in tow. Not quite the same. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dude! You rock!

Yossef, you are one lucky S.O.B.! Maybe I can write about the cool twisty roads of the Missouri Ozarks? Nah. That would be like hamburger vs. tenderloin or non-fat milk vs. heavy cream...no comparison! Thanks for taking me there and giving me something to do if I ever get to that part of the world.

p.s. How about some more info on those KTM Supermoto's?

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Yossef, just looking at those pictures makes me pizzed! Damn, it's 10 degrees here maybe and some snow on the ground, and it's gonna be a couple months before I can count on any consistently ridable weather. At least the crappy weather makes me appreciate when I can get out. As for riding the Dolomites, work never sounded so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad you enjojed yourself; have been to the dolomites 2x in the last 6 years and from the pictures have done many of the roads you did (and possibly many more). Can not belieive you did not mention the problems caused by convoys of

1. German bikers doing 30mph on practically every bend -sometimes up to 50 at a time - they really get pissed off when you overtake them and try to block the road so you have to more or less force your way thro' them, and

2. German car drivers every 10 yards - surprisingly they are more cosiderant of fast bikers that the German bikers, but still cause really bad congestion on the roads.

Hate to say it the roads are great, but during the summer months you might as well drive through London rush hours traffic for the same experiance you get in the Dolomites.

Do not recommend the Dolomites at all - if you want real biking roads, with not traffic, go to the Picos, Gredos or Pyrenes in Spain or the Tatras on the Polish/Slovak borders.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Excellent story reminds of home.

Although the roads around my current home of Seattle allow for year around riding if you don't mind rain, the terrain of Dolomites reminds of the Continental Divide in Colorado. One trip that folks should take if they get to Colorado is to head west from Boulder via Boulder Canyon up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park then to Grand lake via trail ridge road. I have never done it on a motorcycle but back in college when I had an old RX-7 it was fun. Boulder Canyon itself is a hoot. Poudre Canyon outside of Fort Collins is fun as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Avoid August

David, heavy traffic wasn’t mentioned because luckily I didn’t encounter any, but then, I did the trip in September. My simple recommendation is to avoid the high season in August.

Yossef

·
Registered
203 Posts
I rode this road before I moved to the states.. great road.

Just wanted to point out, that I've ridden roads as good here. Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and especially Northern California and Oregon have all shown me beautiful roads, friendly people and a wonderful lack of traffic. I especially love some of the traffic signs I've seen. One of the best was a bullet peppered sign saying "Twisty road next 128 miles"

Maybe I sould send in some of these routes to you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh yes.. and no convoys of 30mph beemers here... in the USA people buy beemers to ride. Germans do the Harley thing with them. My bemer has been over 3 sisters offroad, through the walley of the gods, again offroad, up the oregon trail and, and, and. Ok, so it;s not supposed to go this much offroad, but my attitude is "It cost so much, it damn well should" It's worked so far.

Actually I accidentally threw it off the side of a hill once (don't park bike's downhill, facing the edge,, yea right) and drive it home depsite watching it bounce 100 feet down the hill. No repairs other than some new oild and a WHOLE BUNCH OF SCRATCHES.

I did get arrested trying to get to the northern rim of the grand canjon out of season (I'd gone in though the trails and the snow) but got off becuase I'm scottish. (He thought I was visiting)

My point in all these ramblings... there are some bloody great roads within a few hundred miles of us here. Europe is great, (I should know) and if you;ve never been - go and race, But there's too many cops, people and camper vans and the roads here are often more "out there"

Oh yea... except the roads in northern scotland. You ain;t ridden anything untill you've ridden off into the back of the beyound for 50 miles in the pissing rain on an empty and unlighted road, just to get to a pub where some bird MAYBE likes you, and uf she doesn;t, you don;t undertand a word anyway.

Scots girls RULE.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is a great article to bide the time while I wait for temperatures to rise above freezing here in the "Sunny South". Since I can't make it to Italy/Germany I'll just settle for North Georgia and the North Carolina Blue Ridge! Not too bad for riding either!

BTW the International Motorcycle show was in Atlanta this past weekend and it helped me during this down time for sure. Saw a Benelli Tornado Tre up close and personal. Beautiful and only $36k. And the new Tuono, ah, what fun just waiting to happen. The Z1000, sigh. So many bikes, so little money.

It's supposed to reach 57 degrees this afternoon but it's only 32 right now. At lunch I'm going home and fire up my neglected steed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yossef, just like to add my thanks for the article. I was in the Dolomites last spring, but alas, I wasn't biking. However, Getting back there on a motorcycle was on my mind the entire time. Your little story has reinforced that desire....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts