Motorcycle Forums banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts
Race ECM is not

What you are probably thinking about is the need to recalibrate the throttle position sensor (TPS) voltage that the ECM needs to know when the throttle is fully closed. Either that or the self adjusting adaptive fuel value (AFV), which while settable by a dealer tech will self adjust based upon the O2 sensor outputs to achieve the desired air/fuel mixture, which is optimized for power, the EPA be damned, for the Buell race ECM. Those two parameters, the TPS zero voltage and the AFV, are the only parameters that a tech using the proprietary dealer software can adjust/reprogram. With respect to programability, the race ECM offered to the general public is no different than the stock EPA compliant ECM.

I should clarify... If you have a motorcycle racing license, Buell racing might be convinced to sell you, at a scary high price, one of their fully programable (via PC) race ECM's, but that very unique piece of racing equipment is not available to the general public, only to actual serious motorcycle racers. Nor would it be advantageous to install one on any Buell with a stock engine.

And about your claim on the muffler valve...

The valve in the XB12 muffler is not to prevent pollution, well not air pollution anyway. It is to allow optimum power across the entire power band. It also allows the bike to meet maximum noise emissions requirement while doing so.

Interesting to note that the so-called antiquated Buell V-Twin is the ONLY modern sport bike engine that does not require a catalystic converter to meet pollution performance requirements.

12R is waaay more comfortable than a RC51

I rode the 9R and the 9S last year. Both the gearboxes were fine. Not up to Japanese sportbike standards, but that's a pretty freakin' high standard. As good as my R1100S, which means a little clunky but solid and I didn't miss any shifts.

I was surprised how good the ergos were. The 9R especially; completely liveable except for the seat-to-peg distance which was designed by a person whose legs were exactly two-thirds as long as they're supposed to be.

After my rides I decided if I bought an R model (definitely my favorite of the two) the stock pegs wouldn't make it off the dealer's lot. They would be replaced by a set of S pegs, which conveniently bolt right on and are about an inch and half lower. Ahhhhh.

pdad13, you helped make up my mind...

I'm going to wait until the 2005s are released, to see if Buell will build exactly what I want. If they don't, then I'm going to buy an R, the S pegs, the Race kit, a Superbike top clamp & bar kit from American Sport Bike, and whatever Givi setup that fits.

I plan to call it a Thunderbolt... ;-)

Re: pdad13, you helped make up my mind...

Glad I could be some help. The whole experience was fun.

As a side note, don't expect Buell to introduce another bike in 2005. I doubt they have the resources to launch another model so soon. Hey, but you never know.

I would start shopping around for some of those discounts and a 2004 leftover.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.