Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to think this was fast. Heck, 100 used to be considered fast. Now even HD/Buell make bikes that will do 144?

Yep, it's still illegal. But, the shock factor is totally gone. "yes, yes, ho hum, 144 mph, big deal!"

As a casual observer of society, I worry that legislators are over due to step in and put the brakes on fast bikes?

I am especially worried after seeing the hype in the MC press about new bikes that are on their way and producing 170+ HP right out of the box.

How much faster can OEMs make their bikes before government says enough?

I worry that each and every stunt such as this is nothing more than another nail in the coffin being built to bury our riding freedoms.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Bad original story. No details listed there at all. I must agreed with the above - 144 is no longer fast. I think my cruise control will keep that speed up. Yes - good thing the pipes were not loud...

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Heck, he was on the Interstate! He was probably keeping up with the soccer moms.

We'll probably find out he was in his "Squid" uniform, and when the Cops saw him, his wife-beater shirt was blown up over his back and his baggies were pulled down - and they thought he was moonin' them!

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I was riding on the 167 freeway on Saturday and some young hooligans blew past me (i was doing 70) and decided to put on a show..poping wheelies riding with no hands etc.. Darn kids.. Cars where slowing down on the other side of the free way to gawk.. ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
From Minnesota, land of the infamous "205 Tilly", I say ho hum too. OK, that one just showed us that "the man" can clock you wrong. Problem is, this year they put a law into effect here that anyone going over 100 risks losing their license.

paul from Minnesota

·
Registered
173 Posts
Let's make a pact that we don't put up stories about speeding unless it is 180 or better.

I am so tired of stories about "crazy" riders going 1XX mph. SO WHAT? What is the big deal about going fast anyway? If you crash and get hurt, well it's you own fault. If you crash into someone else, well, it's your fault. I have messed up and crashed at the track. It hurt, but it was rider error. My fault.

I rode my motorcycle 125+on the Autobahn and lived to tell about it. I have gone 150+ (conservatively) on the track and I'm still here. I have gone over 100 in the rain. Big deal!

If legislation is passed (which I think is a real stupid idea) it should apply equally to 2 and 4 wheelers. Let's see how those who drive Corvettes, Porsches, BMW's and so on like that.

Maybe we just need a graduated license program. Anyone notice how it's always guys under 25 who are the subject of the "speed" story? Mayvbe it's just that us "senior citizens" know when to twist the wrist and when not to. BTW I am on the far side of 55 (years and mph)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
They already did that back in '88.

It was called "The Danforth Bill".

Shot down in flames.

But, don't think it won't happen again. "This has all happened before, - and it will happen again."

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
How'zabout 220mph? This guy is *cookin' it*!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Good thing his bike wasn’t loud and he was wearing a helmet, otherwise he would have been irresponsible … "

Close. How about:

"Good thing his bike wasn’t loud and he was wearing a helmet, otherwise he would have been not only irresponsible, but stupid and obnoxious, too."

·
Registered
911 Posts
So what? Any Gomer can go fast in a straight line, people do it in Vettes, Ferraris, 350Z's, etc, and nobody cares, unless they crash their brains out like the con artist who broke the Testarrosa in half, in California, at least he made the 5 o'clock news.

So the poor squid was late for work and now he will pay and we all will pay, that is the reality about being in a minority that carries as much prejudice as motorcycles do.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.