Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
British superbike magazine "Superbike" (go figure) has some really nice photos of the zx-10 in three different colours along with a Z750, the new VN 2000 cruiser, and the engine changes to the '04 ZX-636. Evidently, Kawasaki is serious about winning. Jump across the pond to www.superbike.co.uk

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Good work MO

"The concave tank top and an idealized relationship between pegs, handlebars and seat, creates an aggressive, compact riding position. " Translates to you must be no more than 5'9" tall and weigh 150 lbs to ride it.

" The top surface of the fuel tank is concave, making it easier to tuck in behind the fairing and increasing rider comfort during high-performance riding.

"
Translation: Rider must always be in crouch position to utilize fairing.

The more I see of the new sportbikes the better I like my 01 Ninja and the VFR.

Just once I would love to see a sport bike besides the Ducati 999 have adjustable pegs, bars, seat etc come stock. Is that too much to ask? I know the answer buy a cruiser/sport tourer/standard right.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Whoever Kawasaki let style this thing should be fired. They ruined a good thing by making it resemble the butt-ugly ZX-6. They were headed in the right direction previously, as my early picture shows it having most of the styling cues straight from the GP bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree 100% and it's a shame. If you want the latest top shelf suspension, best brakes, and lightest - most powerful package, you better be ready to do the sport-bike crouch. You can get somewhat close w/ a YZF600R or VFR, but they are behind the curve in all areas. Adjustable seat/peg/bars seems like a good answer.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Agree the MotoGP bike has unique and interestign lines. This bike looks like the ZX-6 which looks like R-1 which looks like the GSXR which looks like the CBR954 i.e.. they are all looking very much the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Save for the circa 1980's style exhaust, I happen to like the ZX-10R styling. Especially in black. The 04 R1 and CBR will have undertail exhausts, which is the way is should have been for some time now. That stupid looking can hanging out there waiting to be crushed or scratched is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This bike makes my pants tight. Unfortunately, it's not because my wallet's fat. So many bikes, so little money.

I love the new Kawi styling. And while I can understand how some people may not dig on it (although you are clearly all fools), I don't get the whole "all sportbikes look the same" comments. To my eyes, the front end (espesh the ram air) and raised rear cowl are very distinctive, and make a nice stylistic continuity across the Kawi line.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thats not true.

Get a Tuono, Speed Triple, SV1000, Monster, Z1000, Fazer

If you need a fairing, most of the above come with half fairings. Why you would i dont know, like KPaul said, most fairings are only useful when you are in a tuck anyways. Not even much for the weather.

Not a problem since 99% of the riders are scared to ride in the rain, anyways.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ridiculous, unless of course you prefer to have your ass at room temp instead of par broiled on your ride home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Motorcyclenews in the UK have a bit of commentary about the ZX10R on their site, they claim their intel says it's 160bhp at the crank and 165kg's dry. Kawasaki have apparently focussed on power to weight or so say MCN...Anyhow if the hp and kg figs are correct it'll be plenty fast!

have a gander at the article: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=17913

·
Registered
238 Posts
Damn, wish it had an undertail exhaust.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
You make a good point. Here in Seattle a fairing is useful. You have to learn how to ride in the rain otherwise you won't ride your bike much, current summer excepted. But you are right there are some good naked bikes out there with more relaxed positions yet have some good components and engines. I guess the Poser in me likes having a bike that looks the part, i.e. a sport bike. But Monsters and the Z1000 look cool and the SV is sharp. So maybe my next bike will be one of these.

·
Registered
30 Posts
comfort/fairing...

First let me say I think the bike looks sweet, if you go check out the pics on sportrider.com you can get a really good sence of their design. I think they did a good job style wise it is unique and very sporty.

Just wanted to say I can understand and relate to the comfort complaints, And in the past I have often thought how silly it is that a bike destined for the street should be so "comitted" to the track. But if you think about it with the current and future racing rule changes this bike and the other liter sized supersports are actually destined for the track, and just happen to be marketed to be ridden on the street to, almost an afterthought I think :) LOL! Slowly but surely, and exponentially when the R1 debuted motorcycle manufactuer sales are actually pushing them towards this end of the sportbike design spectrum.

So many of us refer to older sportbikes or mabye newer VFR's as more rational and comfortable streetbikes ( myself included ). But the fact is that the VFR doesn't count for a higher percentage of sales compared to 954's or 600RR's. Sure the VFR is a better overall streetbike than any CBR, but I seriously doubt there has ever been a model of VFR that outsold a CBR... and other manufactuer's experiance the same kind of sales catagorization and specialization growth.

So, if that's where the sales are comming from we really can't blame them for designing the bikes with such a hardcore edge to them...?

What would really be interesting is to compare how long owners of VFR's kept their bikes compared to 954's and 600RR's and what kind of bikes the repli-racer guy's bought next or if they did.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dunno. I happen to like the exhaust coming off the side. Reminds me of side-piped vettes & mustangs. Its also cheaper and easier to route around the shock.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.